The Bunker and The Background

"Okay, let's get moving. It'll be dark soon and if we don't move quick, we'll be in for more than we bargained for," Rick said, when he pulled away from the handshake. As soon as he finished talking, everyone grabbed their weapons, and walked towards what I believed, was their camp. I followed them with Sam closely behind me.

I laughed when I saw their camp. There was camouflage walls all around them, just as I expected. There were a couple cans of beans and a jug full of water. Bags and other weapons also lay strewn around the site.

"Camp," I whispered under my breath and walked over to help Lori. I grabbed the bag she was trying to pick up. She gave me a small smile, and I hoisted the bag on my back. I asked Carl to put all the cans and the jug of water in the bag. He did, and then walked over to Rick. I watched as Daryl took down the camouflage walls and destroyed them. Sam helped them gather the rest of the weapons, and in under ten minutes, we were ready to go.

"Daryl has agreed to lead us out of the woods, but it's up to you two to lead us from there," Rick said looking at Sam and me.

I gave him a confused look. "Why would we need Daryl to get out of the woods?" I asked.

Daryl chuckled and got a little too close for comfort. "Cuz, I made a trial inta this camp and unless you're real goo at trackin, then yah won't be able ter get out o these woods," Daryl smugly added, and I could hear Sam snort behind me.

"We'll then it's a good thing, we're hunters," Sam said and pushed past me into the clearing.

Daryl glared at the back of Sam's head, and I followed Sam. After a couple of seconds I could hear the rest of the group following us. I stopped when we got to a big branch, and I pushed it away. I let The Greene's and Lori pass, before Glenn took the branch from my hand.

"I got this man, thanks," he smiled at me and said. I nodded and pat him on the back. I continued walking until I caught up with Sam.

"Sam, don't let that Daryl guy get under your skin. I can tell he just doesn't trust us. Just play nice, okay?" I told him quietly. Sam didn't say anything, but he nodded. I gave him a sideways glance, and let him walk ahead of me. I could hear footsteps running up behind me, and I turned. Beth ran up to me and smiled.

"Hey," she said as she kept pace with my walk.

I chuckled, "Hey."

"So, I just wanted to say that you shouldn't let Daryl make you angry. He takes a while to get used to, and he doesn't trust very easily. We've been betrayed before, and it's not something you forget," Beth whispered with a sullen look in her eyes.

I kept walking and listened to the voices in my head. The voices of the people that I've loved and lost. The voices of the people that loved or betrayed me.

"Yeah, I know what that feels like. I was actually just talking to Sam, about not letting Daryl get under his skin," I said and looked at Beth.

She nodded and grabbed my hand in her tiny hand. "We're here for you now," Beth smiled and squeezed my hand, before she ran back to her dad.

I smiled to myself and found myself so caught up in my thoughts that I didn't notice, we had reached the bunker. Sam turned to everyone and held up the old key to the bunker.

"Once you are inside these walls, you are being trusted with everything in it. Once you are inside these walls we are trusting you, with our lives. So, if you have any thoughts at all about betrayal, then I would turn back now. Because, you won't make it to your target, "Sam said with a sickly smile.

The rest of the group took a few glances around, and then looked back to Sam. They all seemed very sure that what they were doing, was in their best interests.