Chapter 2

I'm not sure how long this story is going to be or how often I'll update it because I have exams coming up, but I'll try my best to keep going until it's finished. I'm sorry for any mistakes.

"Come on kid. We're going to be late!" Hopper said as he waited impatiently for El to come out of her room. "I know! I know! I'm coming, just give me a few minutes." He knew what that meant. She won't be just a few minutes. He sighed loudly enough for her to hear and slowly sank onto the worn couch. He checks the clock on the wall. 6:45. Only 15 minutes until I  see her.

He couldn't get her off his mind. She's perfect. No, I can't screw this friendship up. She's the only true friend I have. The only person who understands my pain and I'm the only one who understands all she been through. His mind was racing with thoughts. She doesn't feel that way. She just lost Bob. She just needs somebody to comfort her. Someone for her to lean on and count on. Someone who will listen to her when she talks about her nightmares about the upside down, Will, Bob, demodogs or whatever those kids call them. I can't just push myself onto her. She has enough going on. She needs to take care of her boys. Will and Jonathan, they deserve the world after what they've been through. Maybe I should offer to take them to a game or something. No. Joyce makes it very clear she doesn't need any help, especially with her boys. His internal battle between his heart and his mind was crushing him. He knew he had to get over this impulse. 

He was startled out of his thoughts by the sound of El's bedroom door opening. "Are you ready to go?" He asked in what he hoped was a calm, almost bored voice. El can't know about my feelings for Joyce. Who knows what her and her friends might do with this piece of information. Tell Joyce. Or tell Karen who will most definitely tell Joyce.

"Yeah. What time are we supposed to be there?" she asked while putting her shoes on. "Seven" he answered, standing from the couch. "Okay... Wait that's in less than ten minutes! Let's go! Why didn't you tell me we had to leave now?!" she answered jumping to her feet and out the door. 

He chuckled to himself, deciding not to argue with her about who said what. He got in the drivers seat, waiting for El to buckle her seatbelt, before driving well above the speed limit to the Byers residence. They mainly drove in silence, but not an awkward silence just a comfortable silence.

His boots crushed the thin layer of snow below his feet as they made their way up the driveway to the porch. El knocks on the door with a smile on her face. El's always so happy with the Byers. Joyce is like a mother to her. I wonder if Joyce would want to be a mother to El. Hopper knows he needs to stop thinking like this, but is interrupted when he hears someone moving around inside, knowing she is coming to answer the door. He suddenly feels nervous. But a good nervous, almost excited. The door knob turns as she opened the door.

His heart definitely skipped a beat as Joyce opened the door. Her beautiful auburn hair falls around her shoulders and frames her face. He immediately gets lost in her chocolate brown eyes. He just stares at her. She's so beautiful. It's then that he realises.

He has never been very good at figuring out his feelings, but one thing was clear to him. I'm in love with Joyce Byers.