Discussions, a surprise visit and a suspicious phone call.

Elena's POV: (Opening thoughts)

Damon is now driving me home. Bella has gone to the Clearwater's to be there for them and Charlie and Jake. I had decided not to give Charlie a heart attack by turning up soaked to the bone and nearly blue lipped. Bella agreed.

*Elena Swan in New moon*

I have got a jacket of Damon's on and I am trying to warm up as I am still frozen from the water.

"108 degrees over here," Damon says to me.

Without hesitation I move over and lean into his side, which is scorching hot against my frozen skin. It must be nice to never get cold.

"God!" I say surprised at how hot he is and placing my cold fingers against his bare skinned arm. "My hands are freezing. It must be nice never getting cold!"

"It's a wolf thing," D explains.

I shake my head. "No. It's a Damon thing. You're just warm and you always was. You're like your own sun."

We pull up to my house and I turn to him as he begins to speak.

"Is this better?" He asks. Is what better? "Now that you and Bella know about us."

I nod but I can feel that there is more e wants to say.

"But?" I ask him as I turn to face him.

"You saw what happened to Emily," he tells me and I know he's gonna tell me what happened to her. "Sam got angry. Lost it for a split second, and was standing too close," he shakes his head and I begin to feel sorry for Sam, Having to see what he's done every day. "He'll never be able to take that back. What if I got mad with you? That's why I broke up with you! I couldn't bear the thought that you may get hurt. Sometimes... I feel like I'm gonna disappear."

I turn over and look straight at him. "Okay not that you need me to tell you something like this... but I always will. You're not gonna lose yourself. I wouldn't let that happen."

He is now bearing his eyes into mine.

"How?" He asks.

"I'll tell you all the time," I tell him and I keep my expression serious to show him how much I am. "How special you are... how much you meant to me back then... and still do."

As if we were back in our past selves we both begin to lean towards each other. My heart begins to race and I feel like it is also beginning to heal. Even though it is cracked maybe I can piece my broken heart together with a man I once loved. No!

I stop realizing I cannot go back to the way things were. He turns away realising I cannot do it.

"Thank you," I say and he hugs me as I lean into his neck. "For everything."

He nods and I am glad I did not upset him. I slide across and open the door.

"Wait!" Damon says and he leans across me to slam the door shut and I gasp but he seems to be worried. "There's a vampire."

Oh no Victoria! "How do you know?"

"I can smell it," he says and I begin to panic as he prepares to start the engine. "I'm getting you out of here."

But I look out the back window and I am shocked to see a very familiar car behind my house. A black car that belongs to...

"That's Carlisle's car," I tell Damon but he is not as thrilled as I am. "They're here."