Chapter 8: Open Wounds

Jade

I tapped my pencil against my desk as Mr. Johns went on and on about some point in history about some old guy with a white wig. I couldn’t focus on a thing. The other night kept replaying in my head and I wanted it to stop. I had no one to talk to about it, if only Naudia and I weren’t fighting. I looked down the row where she sat doodling on her binder. She looked up and caught me looking. I thought for a second we would be okay, but then she rolled her eyes and made a face. I sucked my teeth and looked back at the clock. Five more minutes till this long ass school day was over.

I counted down the seconds and before the bell could even ring I was out the door. I basically jogged to my locker, trying to get to the diner. Something good actually did come out of me spending all that time at the diner, I got a job. I pushed my books inside the locker and jogged to the courtyard. I was almost to my car when I ran right into no one other than Naudia. Her books went everywhere and we both landed on the ground.

“What the hell?! Get off of me.” She yelled pushing me off her causing me to hit my shoulder on the pavement. As pain surged through me, my anger followed.

I got up and pushed her back.

“Don’t be pushing me Naudia!” I yelled.

Before I knew it we were rolling around the ground throwing punches. It seemed like she hit every sore spot on my body and I was grateful when Christian pulled us apart.

“This is ridiculous! Y’all are best friends what the hell are y’all doing?” He yelled.

I snatched away from him and went to my car. He wasn’t my brother and I didn’t have to answer to him. His sister threw the first hit, so it was her that needed to be handled. It wasn’t the first time me and Naudia had fist fought, but it was the first that we didn’t make up right after. I got into my car and took off towards the diner. Fucking around with Naudia I was 10 minutes late, just great.

“You’re late.” Trish said once I walked in tying my apron around my waist.

“I know, I had a little situation. I promise it won’t happen again.”

She nodded and I began my shift.

-

-

-

I got off around 10 that night. After saying good bye to Trish I went outside. Tyrik was sitting on my car. I rolled my eyes and went to the driver’s side of the car. When I tried to open it he closed it back and got in the way.

“Excuse me, I need to go home. I have better things to do.” I said.

“You haven’t been answering my calls.” He said looking down at me.

“I know. I thought it would become clear that we were done.”

“No, I told you from the jump once you with me there is no we’re done unless it’s coming out of my mouth. I haven’t said it, so there is no you, there is no me, there is an us.”

“You thought.”

“Stop talking to me like you crazy Jade.”

“You know what Ty? Screw you and your care.”

“Jade, I’m trying to have a civilized conversation with you.”

“I don’t want to hear anything you have to say.”

“You have no choice.”

“Just because you’re a damn dog doesn’t mean I am. I don’t take orders, I give them.”