Chapter 21

Jihyo turns on the radio in the kitchen and sighs when she hears nothing but static. The signals had been cut off on the fourth day and she is slowly losing hope that the government is getting the situation under control.

"Do you think it's always going to be this way?" Sang-hoon's worried voice breaks the silence that's descended upon them.

Jihyo passes him a can of peeled tomatoes as he stirs the sauce for the soup. "I hope not."

A hundred kilometers away from them, an army of undead is slowly making their march towards the isolated part of the town, in the direction of their safe house.

The girls unaware of the danger looming over them, continue to remain in the false sense of security the villa offers.

"I miss our normal life." Sana sighs and Dahyun pulls her into a hug.

She bites the inside of her cheeks contemplating how to reassure the troubled girl. "It's going to be okay." She squeezes her hands tightly between her. "We're going to be okay."

The girls have their lunch quietly with the new comers, their heads occupied and heavy with thoughts.

Momo angles the camera towards herself, wiping the ever present smile on her face and schools it into a sullen, worried look.

"It's day 5, the time is now 1pm. We try to survive by not drawing attention of the undead. Everyone and everything is so quiet around us. It reminds me of that William Shake Us Sphere's poem."

Jeongyeon tries not to butt in and correct her, deciding to let her have her moment.

Momo continues to talk in a dramatically low and melancholic voice. "It goes like this, Roses are red, violets are blue."

"If I come out, I'll fucking kill you." Nayeon's obnoxiously loud voice rings from behind her.

Momo switches off the camera and grunts. "Not again." She turns to where Nayeon is, snarling at an undead in front of the window, calling him names and giving him the finger.

"What is her problem?" She wonders out loud.

Tzuyu slurps on her pot noodles and shrugs, "She's just mad that Jihyo told her she can't go out today with the injured arm."

"My arm is not injured." Nayeon whines, and folds her arms to show its perfectly fine. "It's just a cut, I'm going to go out."

She goes to the front door to get it open, but Jeongyeon carries her fireman style for the third time in the past ten minutes and throws her on the couch again.

"It does look fine." Aera drawls dreamily, as she sits next to Nayeon and runs her fingers down the muscles in her arms that's bare and open to her touch in the sleeveless black t shirt she's wearing.

"Thank you Aera." Nayeon sighs and gets back up on her feet. "Nobody else seems to trust me."

Dahyun shakes her head at how oblivious Nayeon is being to Aera's advances. She's just glad Mina is still in the kitchen, drying the dishes with Sana.

The zombie growls at Nayeon from the window.

"You're dead motherfucker." Nayeon hisses and goes back to the front door.

Jeongyeon wipes the sweat from her brow, she's tired of acting like the bouncer at a club. "Minayah." She screams in the direction of the kitchen. "Control your bunny, please."

"I have a free will." Nayeon states, taking determined strides towards the door. "Nobody can control me."

Mina steps in front of her before she puts her hand on the handle. "Nayeon-chan, you're not going anywhere."

Nayeon withdraws her arm back quickly.

Dahyun sniggers behind her hand.

"I'm not weak Minayah." She pouts, and points a finger accusingly at the girls in the living room. "They treat me like that."

"You're not weak baby." Mina husks.

Nayeon grins. "My arms are strong."

Mina runs her fingernails down her arm. "Definitely strong." She flirts.

Nayeon shudders. "Can I go out then?"

Mina leans closer to her ear, "There are other ways to show the strength in them."

Nayeon's eyes cloud over as she licks her suddenly dry lips. She takes Mina's hand that's extended towards her and follows her obediently.

"Are you kidding me?" Chaeyoung groans at Mina, "It's just past midday."

Mina throws a dismissive glance behind her. "It worked, didn't it?"