The Dried Up Town

Nate walked along the old dusty road, humming a little song with a smile on his weathered face. If you had seen him along that road that day, you would have thought that he was just walking home from work that hot day. He seemed about twenty maybe twenty five if you stretched it hard. His hair was a dusty black from his Native heritage and his skin was a deep dark tan from a many year under the sun's smiling rays. He stopped at a crossroads, looking around slowly the smile slowly sinking from his face. He looked up and groaned softly, it was so hot and dry that the farmer's fields had died and withered. It hurt him that so many people's livelihoods had died because of the hateful nature of summer in Texas. Nate decided that he would have to do something about it soon. He looked at an old wooden sign that pointed down the road that said, Lakewood 3 miles. The youngish man smiled and said “Well, that’s where I'll start I guess!” He started on the road to the small town of Lakewood with his pack on his back and his satchel whopping on his leg with every step he took.

Nathan “Nate” Blackthorn strode into Lakewood with his dusty Levi's stirring up little clouds in the slight breeze as his boots made small clacking sounds as he hit little rocks every so often along with his guitar gently sounding in the wind. He stopped and walked into a old grocery and feed store that looked like it hadn't seen a patron in many a year. It was very clean and well kept   inside except for a few cobwebs in the back corner on a rack of boots that looked like they had never been worn. A older gentleman with a apron on looked up from a paperback that was titled Lovers in Mythology.” Can I help you son?” said the man with a kind smile. Nate laughed and said “ Yes, you can sir! I need some supplies, that is if you can provide it. I'm Nathan Blackthorn.” The man grinned at Nate while marking his page. “Well, I got a lot of things except fresh produce. We have had a bad couple of years for our farms round here because of the drought that hit us. But if you're thirsty or hungry, I think I can help you out.”

The man stood and walked over to Nate, clapping him on the back and leading him around the store towards the back. The man was still talking about the town when he gasped loudly and clutched his chest, Nate instantly helped the oldster down to a chair in the corner as he asked “Whats wrong mister?” The man chuckled and winced lightly as he sat down. “Ah it's my heart. When you've got a bum ticker from birth, old age doesn't help ya much. Oh I plumb forgot to tell you my name, my name is Henry Wordsworth nice to meet ya son.” Nate looked at him carefully and asked “ Are you sure your heart is alright?” Henry smiled and nodded and patted the chair by his knee when the bell above the door rang and a young woman walked in calling “ Grandpa Henry? Where are you?” “Back here Lily... I would like to introduce you to someone!” said Henry with a wink at Nate. “That is my lovely granddaughter Lila but everyone calls her Lily. Lila, I would like you to meet Nathan Blackthorn.” he said with a wave between the two young adults. Nate smiled and shook her hand gently and turned to Henry saying “ Well I came in here to buy some supplies for my travels but I would rather stay here for a few day instead of just moving on. Do you know where a man can get a bed and food for a week or more?”   Mr. Wordsworth looked oddly at him and said “ Can you work hard for your keep and keep yourself presentable?”   Nate nodded slowly not understanding the questions.   Henry laughed   and stood up, sticking out his hand for a handshake. “ If you can do that then you can stay in one of the rooms over the store for a bit. Lily, why don't you show him the window room?” Henry said with a big old grin on his face. Lily took Nate up the stairs and showed him the end room that had seven huge windows in its walls, showing the most of the town's view. She was almost surprisingly kind to someone she had just met, helped by the fact that Nate was not bad looking by any means. After they had talked for about a half hour, she suddenly looked scared and worried. “ What time is it do you think?” she said almost fearfully. “About 6 or closer to 7 now.... why?” said Nate slowly. She got a look of terror on her face that Nate did not think she could make with such a beautiful face. “Oh god no I missed it... I'm in so much Trouble!! I gotta go, bye Nate!” after she said this she bolted from the room with tears in her eyes.