Levi Valencia

I felt like absolute shit for the rest of the night. I tried to text her but she wouldn't even read my messages. Why did I have to do that? How could I be so stupid and selfish? I needed her right now more than ever. I didn't even tell her about the dinner with my father because I was being petty and rude the whole day.

I failed at being her best friend and I just ruined everything. Sleep didn't come to me that night either. My brain is too loud. As I laid in my bed I stared out my window and I watched night leak into morning. I couldn't even pretend to be a good boyfriend for two days. I should just accept my fate of dying alone. Birds began chirping and singing as the sun slowly rose higher and higher. The light slowly crawled across my floor, reaching for my bed. My dad left us. It was like he had just grown more and more tired over time. He didn't want a life in a really small house with an overworked independent filipino woman and the disappointment of a son. A small town with no real opportunities. My mom wanted to stay so he left without her and didn't even try to take me with him.

Over the years there was some contact. Birthday and Christmas cards. Sometimes a call but then I grew up a little and I learned how he chose his dream of wanting to live in a city over his family. He made up a new life and forgot about his first one but now he is coming back? Why? My mom wanted him to come back too so I could know my father. I buried my face into my pillow. Does anyone care about what I want?

I pulled myself to my feet and I dragged myself to the bathroom to take a shower and brush my teeth. I spent the whole day in my room playing video games and watching TV. Sittin in my self pity. A soft knock at my door made me snap out of my trance.

"Your father will be here shortly. Would you like to help out in the kitchen?" she asked tiredly. It must have been a long day at work. I nodded in response and I turned off my tv, finally getting up.

"We are making Tapa tonight. Don't you remember how much you and your father would suggest it for dinner. I would always eat it for breakfast but it was our little version of breakfast for dinner," she smiled and I smiled back.

I prepared the garlic fried rice as my mom took care of seasoning and frying the pork. We both fried the eggs together. Before I could set the table, there was a knock at the door.

"Did you make the meat spicy like I like it?" I asked looking at my mom with my big puppy eyes.

"Of course. It is the best way to cook it," she smiled.

I opened the door and there he was. My dad. He looked older than I remember him but that is because I haven't actually seen him since I was eight. A woman stood next to him. She looked young pregnant.

"It's been a while hasn't it?" my dad laughed nervously.

"Is this Levi?" the woman asked excitedly

My mom came up brushing her hands on her apron. She froze when she saw the woman.

"Well I guess we are lucky we made extra. Who is this?" my mom asked, staring at the woman's stomach.

"This is my wife Sophia," my dad introduced and a small laugh escaped my lips which caused my mom to shoulder me in my side.

"Oh and my son to be," he said, putting his hand on her stomach.

"I'm going to go set the table," I spoke through gritted teeth.

Son to be. I couldn't believe this was happening. I took a deep breath and I set the table for four instead of three. Everyone sat in a chair and my mom put the food down in the middle of the table. Everyone started piling their food on their plates.

"So Ben. Where do you work?" my mom asked.

"I am a lawyer and my wife here is a nurse," he nodded.