Emma Miller

My eyes linger on the ceiling and remorseful thoughts flood my head. I took a deep breath and Logan rummaging through my desk snapped me out of my trance.

"Why do you have a picture of Zaria and you on your desk?" he asked and I sat up.

"Hey don't snoop through my stuff. We took that picture about a week or two ago and I printed two copies of the picture. Gave one to Zaria. Kept one," I said and he nodded.

"Zaria is apparently jealous of me," he said and I laughed and looked at him confused.

"Ally told me that Zaria pulled Olivia aside asking if we were actually dating and she seemed really upset over it," he said and I nodded.

Great. I felt even worse than before. I had to talk to her but I was afraid of going up to her house because of her dad. I had to find a way to catch her or something.

"You are so boring! I wanted to come over because I wanted you to entertain me," he said jumping into my bed with a smile across his lips.

"Put on a movie," I shrugged.

It was never boring around Zaria. Was life like this before I met Zaria? It was sad because I wanted things to be like before but it's like I am permanently changed. I was like a shattered mirror glued back together. I am still me but if you run your fingers across me then you can feel the permanent cracks filled with glue.

He pulled me close which made my stomach drop. It wasn't that fluttery butterfly feeling. It was that anxious scared feeling as if your fight or flight reflexes were about to kick in. I was scrolling through Instagram on my phone and I felt his lips on my jaw. I nearly jumped and I turned to him.

"What? You aren't going to kiss your boyfriend?" he asked and I cringed.

I looked at the time and quickly made up a lie in my head.

"Oh shoot! I forgot! I am supposed to meet Levi at the diner! I'm going to be late," I said and he laughed.

"Wow you are always so forgetful. Here I can drop you off," he nodded.

He took me to the diner and gave me a kiss on the cheek for goodbye. I stayed in front of the doors until he drove off. Levi wasn't even here. Neither was his mom. It was past her shift since it was nearly eleven at night. I went inside anyways because I was hungry and what is better than breakfast for dinner?

I met eyes with Zaria who was sitting alone in a booth. She scoffed and looked down at her plate, obviously angered with my presence. This was honestly pure luck. I was just thinking about talking to her. I walked over and sat in front of her.

"I came to the diner earlier in the day. Levi sits in front of me and chases me away. So I decide that today I should come at night and have a little midnight breakfast but here you are keeping me from eating my damn waffles," Zaria looked at me with a frustrated smile.

Tears instantly built up in the corners of my eyes and I let out a nervous laugh looking down at the napkin in front of me.

"Zaria. I have been waiting for the moment we run into each other. Zaria. I'm sorry. I am so so sorry. I freaked myself out and I pushed you away from me and I lashed out at you in the process. I said really mean things to you," I began ranting and tears fell off my face dotting the napkin below me.

She reached across the table and gently lifted my chin so I could look at her.

"I missed you Miller," she said softly and I let out a laugh of relief.

She wiped my tears away and I smiled. It felt as if the world's weight was suddenly lifted.

"Did you mean it? What happened between us?" she asked