▌𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄.

ROSETTE MILLS-HARRISON IS THE sixteen year old daughter of ali mills schwarber and gerald harrison who lived in a penthouse with her father, just a few floors down from the keene's. however, that's not how the story came to be.

━━━━━

five years back, a custody battle over rose between ali and gerald occurred shortly after their official divorce. being in the middle of all of this only developed rose's inability to be decisive as it was a miserable and intense time for her and her parents.

gunmetal blue eyes that she inherited from her father was on the verge of tears as she listened to her parents heatedly argue in the dining room with hands slamming on the table and chairs nearly flying into either the wall or the ground.

"she's my daughter and she stays with me.", yelled the mother.

"you can't even find a stable job! believe me, ali. between us both, i can provide a better life for our daughter. you know that!", retorted the father.

seriously, this was going too far. ali put her hands on each of her hips and glared at the man in front of her, "stable my ass, gerald! you may be a business man but you'll be too busy to even actually raise rose! what are you gonna do? hire a nanny while you're on the other side of the country? leave her in the house all alone? is that your way of raising a child? at least i can be a part of her life rather than being absent in it 24/7!"

"watch it, ali. i can and i will be there for rose when she needs me to. you and i both know she can live a better life in my hands. if i win this battle, i can still allow you to visit her on weekends. i'm not gonna prohibit her to call or message you. i just want what's best for her. we both do."

if you want what's best for me, then why are you fighting over me? rose thought to herself, biting her shivering lower lip as she kept herself from crying again. it's been, what, several minutes since she last burst into tears. the blonde girl curled up on the couch as her parents continued to disagree with each other.

gerald sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose with two of his fingers before adding into his previous statement, "my lawyers are one of the best in this country. i'm not trying to threaten you, ali, but if i do win, i promise you that you will still see her after this. you know that i am a man of my word."

tears slid down ali's cheeks as she sobbed in her hands, finally sitting down. she knew it was undeniably possible to lose against her ex-husband. he was right after all. she had no job at the moment and that would only negatively affect her and her daughter's future. and she hated it.

the next day at court proved her assumptions. ali mills lost the custody battle. gerald harrison gets to keep his daughter in his life. and rose? rose was upset that this had to happen in their lives. but as time passed by, she has slowly gotten used to it.

her mother used to visit her every weekend but what was frequent became seldom when ali started to finish where she left off at college and has successfully become a pediatric surgeon.

the woman eventually got married into another man she met at work - an oncologist that went by the name of gregory schwarber.

nonetheless, the man was kind to rose during their visits. ali was finally happy for the first time in years and it made rose finally accept that.

gerald, on the other hand, was a pretty busy man and that was already a given when he got her. dating was also out of the question as he mostly focused on his work and his daughter. two of the many things he's memorably given her was a life in her mother's hometown and small lessons on martial arts - something he knew was a big part of ali's life during high school. his outside-the-country travels became occasional so that he gets to be there for rose whenever he can.

they lived in the penthouse level of an apartment building somewhere in los angeles and that's when she met robby keene. the two didn't instantly hit it off because her father was extremely protective of her, assuming that robby was, no doubt, a troublemaker. gerald eventually let rose and robby hang out since they went to the same school anyway.

the two teenagers began dating a few months after the harrison's first moved in. while their relationship is slightly rocky at times, they still made it work.

however, there are those things robby kept hidden from his girlfriend; involvement in drugs, stealing, and above all, the information about his father. it wasn't that he didn't trust her, he just never liked the idea of his dad ruining everything for him again, especially now that he's gotten one good thing out of his life.

━━━━━

one day, rose's own father decided to move her into a different school near his new company building so that whenever he drops her off, neither of them would be late to their respective institutions.

"you're switching schools?", robby asked, sitting from across the female blonde at a café. imagine receiving bad news in a date. "but ... why?"

"i'm not entirely sure. i did hear father say something about 'close to work'. i am a little late from receiving my driver's license," she replied with an apologetic look. rose gently grabs his hand from the table and intertwines his fingers with hers. "i'm sorry, robby."

he pursed his lips, brushing his long, dark blonde hair with his free hand. she was the reason he still went to school everyday and now that she's going away, he didn't know what to do. it's not like he can just ask his mom to move schools with his girlfriend, especially not when they're in a pretty rough place and his mom's not exactly doing anything about it.

rose frowned slightly at his silence and a small bubble of worry began to erupt inside of her, "babe?"

forest green eyes shifted its attention back to the blue ones in front of him as he finally responded, "what if i was the one who dropped you off instead? we could go to together."

"ugh, i really wish that's an option but ... ", she gradually retracted her hand from his to massage her temple, " ... i doubt we get a say in it anymore. father's already made up his mind. but hey, it's just a school. we still live an elevator away from each other."

robby smirked faintly, humming in amusement as he leaned back in his seat, "you're not wrong. and you know what? we're barely two years away from college, anyway."

"yeah. some things don't have to change."

little did they know, a whole lot of things are about to.