BHISM'S RULES

Everyone was present at the court, ready to witness the game of dice between Yuddhistir and Duryodhan.

"With the permission of Samrat, let the game begin ! Grace the seat." Dhritrashtra said. Yuddhistir sat down.

"Come on brother Duryodhan, lets begin the game." Yuddhistir said.

"With your permission, Mamashree would like to say something." Duryodhan said. Yuddhistir nodded.

"Samrat, in the world, the game of dice has a very bad reputation. The thing is, all the games which have unclear rules tend to be bad in general terms. Even life without rules is painful. That is why before beginning the game the rules of thus game must be clarified." Shakuni said.

"Tell us, Mamashree. What are the rules ?" Yuddhistir asked.

"Me ? No Samrat. To make rules one needs to have deep knowledge of righteousness. One needs to be fair-minded and experienced. And righteousness, fair-mindedness and experience are embodied by none other than Mahamahim Bhism. Mahamahim I request you to clarify the rules of this game, so that when the game begins you have nothing to say against it." Shakuni said.

"The game of dice in itself is unrighteous, what rules should I make ?" Bhism asked.

"Pitamah make the rules that will restrain the unrighteous." Yuddhistir said.

"Then lend an ear to me, first and foremost Samrat, the ones to be most hurt by unrighteousness in the world are women. And the recipients of grave injustice are again women. That is why, until the game of dice is over, none of the women will be present in the court." Bhism told the first rule, worrying Duryodhan, Dushashan and Shakuni.

"How is this correct, Pitamah ? All these arrangements are made to honor the Samragyi and Senapti-Bharya after all. Their presence is essential." Duryodhan said.

"Then this game of dice shall not be played, Yuvraj. Because I have firm faith that the Samragyi and Senapti-Bharya would appreciate some nice music more than the game of dice." Bhism said, Draupadi and Sagarika nodded at him.

"Oh no, Mahamahim ! Maharani has made arrangements for Samragyi and Senapti-Bharya to see host of apparels and jewelery. Besides mere bacche, apart from their husbands and maids, women of royalty do not play a game of dice with anyone else. Mahamahim that is a valid rule." Shakuni said.

"But, the Samrat would require some light meal during the game for which the Dasis ought to have permission to enter the court. This is what I request of you." Shakuni said.

"That sounds fair. The dasis will have permission to enter the court." Bhism said

"The second rule will be that both the players in each turns must only bet objects of equal worth in the game. When one bets jewelery, only the jewelery of equal worth can be bet by the other." Bhism said.

"Sounds fair, Pitamah." Yuddhistir said.

"And third rule is, that both the players can only bet those objects or items to which they have a right." Bhism said.

"But Samrat has the right to the entire Aryavart, Pitamah." Duryodhan said.

"And you do not have the right to even a single village." Bhism said.

"I am the Yuvraj of Hastinapoor, Pitamah and the throne of Hastinapoor rightfully belongs to me." Duryodhan said.

"In time. And when its time we shall invite the Emperor for a game of dice again. But at the moment you can only bet your apparels, jewelery and gold coins in the game. Object of same worth will be bet by the Emperor as well." Bhism said.

"But Pitamah, because of this rule, wining and losing at this game will have absolutely no meaning. The Dyut sabha will be over in just a few turns."

"What is incorrect about it Yuvraj ?" Bhism asked.

"Do you not want this game to take place ?" Duryodhan asked.

"I do not, Duryodhan. Stop the game." Bhism said. Shocking the antagonists.

"I apologize to Yuddhistir on behalf of Hastinapoor." Bhism said.

"Impossible !! I cannot let my arrangements go in vain." Duryodhan said.

"Do you have some sort of a plan Duryodhan ? Which are being obstructed by these rules ?" Bheem asked.

"It is our plan to bring happiness to the Samrat, Yuvraj Bheem. And no rules are obstructions here. But with the permission of Samrat I would like to make a request." Shakuni said. Yuddhistir nodded.

"Samrat, be it a battle, a competition or a game of dice, to competent person these are nothing but games. Then why do we play these games ? For wealth or for an empire ?" Shakuni asked.

"No Mamashree, upon being victorious, one garners glory, fame and praise from the world." Yuddhistir said.

"Samrat is correct. When a man wins, there is appreciation in his pride but when he loses there is a reduction in his pride. The true property of a man is his pride. Did I say something incorrect, Samrat ?" Shakuni said.

"You are correct Mamashree, Pride is everything." Yuddhistir agreed.

"Then I request that both the players to bet their pride in the game but to which they also have a right. Along with the right to it they ought to take pride in it, that can be put on bet, and out of the two players, when one of them has no possession in which he can take pride in, then the game will be deemed complete." Shakuni said.

"Samrat, do you approve these rules ?" Shakuni asked.

"I approve them." Yuddhistir said.

"Then let the game of dice begin !" Shakuni said.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
A/N
THE GAME HAS STARTED AT THE ROYAL COURT OF HASTINAPOOR BUT WILL END IN KURUKSHETRA.