Focus

While Percy pretended to blow his nose into Nico's jacket, to which the boy grimaced in disgust, and Annabeth rolled her eyes at her boyfriend's sorrowful farewells, Rowan leaned against a tall tree at the edge of Camp's borders.

Will was talking to Chiron, frantically making sure that his satchel contained all they needed for the Journey. Billie was chatting animatedly to a few others her age – she was younger than the rest by a year or two, so her fresh-faced peers were envious of her chance to go on a great adventure.

Rowan observed them in silence, having nobody to say goodbye to and not much to bring with her: A small backpack filled with her own rations in case she was separated from Billie, a map of the United States that she had taken from a book in the Big House (she had never been to America before, and even all the movies and TV shows she had watched wouldn't compare to the real thing), and a water bottle. Her Guandao was retracted, returned to the strap on her thigh.

Someone was behind her.

"I heard you threw a sword," A harsh male voice said. He sounded impressed and skeptical at the same time. "Is it true?"

"Your weapons are clumsy." It wasn't an answer, but pointing out the issues with their weapons was the least Rowan thought she could do in return for their hospitality. "Too short, too heavy."

"They're not mine." He said irritably and stormed in front to face her. The boy was her age, Asian, but taller with cruel, sharp features. "They're Greek."

She watched him dispassionately. He sneered, angered by her lack of fear and response in general. "What are you?"

"Sherman," Percy said, tone suddenly demanding. So the joker was also a general, Rowan noted. His scars weren't just for show after all. "Quit being a snotwipe."

"Shut up, Jackson." Sherman snarled back.

Still, he stepped away from her. Sherman shot Rowan a venomous look before retreating through the small crowd that had gathered at the border of Camp, seeing Nico, Will and Billie off.

Rowan turned her eyes on Percy. His charming smile had returned, and he flashed it at her as if embarrassed by his display of strength. Rowan's renewed interest caught Annabeth's attention; Rowan decided it was either jealousy over her boyfriend or her natural perceptiveness.

Annabeth looked at her. She frowned. Rowan knew she didn't know what to make of her. Even Rowan didn't know what to make of herself.

Enough of this. They were wasting time. She had to find Ethan.

She was about to leave noiselessly, slipping into the woods while the others gradually noticed her absence and rushed to catch up, when she heard her father:

"What do you say when someone helps you?"

Rowan sighed. Sixteen years old and still bound by lessons she had been taught at the age of four. Whether they had meant to or not, the obedience her family had instilled in her was incredible.

She walked up to Chiron. Will grinned. "Hey, Rowan. Forgot something?"

"Thank you," She said to both. It almost pained her to say it, but the gratitude was genuine. It was also shocking, for Will and Chiron's eyes both widened. "You saved my life."

Once they had recovered from the pleasant surprise, Chiron smiled warmly. "It is my duty to protect and care for young heroes. You are welcome."

Rowan dipped her head slightly to show acknowledgement. Will's grin grew wider.

"Bye, Chiron." He said cheerfully. "We'll be back soon."

"Be as safe as you can." Chiron responded as Will beckoned Billie over. The two joined Rowan in walking over to Nico, Percy and Annabeth.