The Night We Parted

Acourve - The night we parted

IZ*ONE's Eunbi

----------

The night is beautiful, the full moon shines bright while stars decorate the black sky like diamonds in the warm summer night of July. A breeze of love blows through the streets of Seoul as couples can be seen in every corner of the city. Driving to restaurants, walking to the cinemas or strolling along the beautiful Han river.

You are no different from them. Putting on one of the nicest outfits in your closet, you step in front of the mirror, giving yourself a once over as your hands move to button up your shirt. Since meeting your girlfriend it became a habit to look good whenever you went out for dates with her.

You spray on the cologne Eunbi loves the most, making sure it catches all the pulse points on your body. With a happy nod and a wide smile, you throw a blazer over your shoulder and walk over to the living room table, grabbing the bouquet of roses on your way out.

'She'll love this.'

Feeling happier than usual, your fingers tap on the steering wheel while you drive to her apartment, your favorite playlist of songs playing along the way. This most certainly isn't your first date with Eunbi, the two of you have been together for three years. To some, you two are the image of a perfect couple, her friends even suggested for you to pop the question.

Your heart skips a beat when the image of her smiling crosses your mind. You find yourself unable to explain why you feel happier tonight, maybe it's the thought of finally tying the knot with Eunbi that causes your heart to flutter.

Your head bobs along to the beat of the song, you look out the window to see the streets lined with christmas trees, fairy lights illuminating the roads with beautiful colors. They describe exactly how you feel right now, bright and happy.

Eunbi's place isn't far from yours, only a twenty minute drive separating the two of you. You park near her apartment complex and carefully pick up the roses from the passenger seat beside you before stepping out of your car.

The elevator ride up to the seventh floor feels long and the closer you get the faster your heart races. The elevator doors split and your stomach does a flip with every step you take. You finally reach her apartment and take a deep breath before you press the doorbell. Taking a step back, you slightly lean forward so that your face is viewable in Eunbi's door monitor.

A few seconds pass before the door beeps and opens, revealing your girlfriend.

"Jagi- Eh? You're not ready yet?"

You scan her from top to bottom and your eyebrows furrow in confusion when you see the always stylish Eunbi wearing a plain t-shirt with sweatpants.

Her face is blank, lacking any sort of emotion and you feel your stomach knot. She's not the usual Eunbi who's always happy when she sees you.

"Let's break up. I'm only answering the door to tell you this."

You freeze and your heart drops.

"I hope you can forget me and be happy." she mutters as she steps back before closing the door on you.

It turns out that tonight is the coldest summer night of your life. As cold and dead as your relationship with her. On the night that Eunbi breaks up with you, you think that Eunbi looks undeniably beautiful, even with just casual clothes and a blank expression.

You will always remember this night. The night where you won't be able to call her yours anymore. The final night that you will see her.

Your love for her is still there, but hers faded.

On the night that we parted.

___________________