Chapter Twenty Five

Night was quickly approaching, and although it previously seemed they were being held by Lawrence's group like hostages, they were more like guests now. 

They were set up in a few bedrooms for the night, all simple but perfectly comfortable. Ada found herself sharing a room with Brenda, which she was happy with. She'd feel a little nervous if she was going to be left alone.

The girl also happened to miss the explosive argument between Thomas and Newt which ended in the blonde boy shoving the other against the wall quite violently. She was now aware of how angry Newt really was about Thomas' reluctance to work with Teresa, considering it would help them get Minho back, but she was unaware of the actual reason why.

Of course, Newt loved Minho, but that wasn't the complete reason. He had the Flare.

He made them all aware of it when Ada and Gally returned from their small catch up, gathering them around the table used for strategizing, and refusing to make eye contact. The girl could feel her eyes burning with furious tears, but wouldn't let herself cry when she could see everyone else staying so strong.

No one spoke as he explained when he most likely got infected, how he wanted to focus on getting Minho back, and that he wasn't their current priority. No matter how much they wanted to argue, they didn't.

Newt was stubborn. And when it came to Minho, his mind would be even more impossible to change. They'd just have to figure out a way to save him too: and hope that he would let them save him.

He awkwardly left after he finished talking, to avoid any questions being fired his way. But no one really had questions. All they wanted to do - at least in Ada's case - was hug him and never let go.

She knew there was a possibility that he would yell at her for doing so, but she found herself gravitating towards him. She felt like she needed to speak to him, as though she wanted to savour it before she couldn't do it anymore.

Ada strolled over towards the blonde, who was staring dreamily at the rose bush across the room from them. She said nothing as she rested just by his side, waiting for him to initiate the conversation. She didn't want to overstep, especially considering what he was going through.

"Do you reckon there's tulips in the Safe Haven?" Newt wondered, his eyes resting just behind the girl and not on her.

"Tulips?" She asked curiously, tilting her head to one side when he looked at her. 

She realised then that he didn't want to talk about having the Flare, and so she would respect his wishes. He nodded to confirm her question, his lips turning up in the smallest smile as he explained,

"We never had them in the Glade. I always wanted some."

"I remember you saying that," She said with a soft smile, happily reminiscing. "On my first day in the Gardens."

"Right before you started talking about escaping the Maze with a bloody ladder."

They were left to chuckle about their antics back in the Glade, wishing they were still there, because it was just so much simpler. Although Newt was momentarily happy, the Flare was playing on the back of his mind and messing with his mind.

Ada wasn't there, but he freaked out on Thomas. He never would've done it had the Flare not pushed him to. All he could think about was Minho, and Thomas' reluctance to work with Teresa, and he snapped.

"I'm sure the Safe Haven does have tulips. We can make it our mission to find some."

He smiled then, as if imagining it, but it didn't reach his eyes. Because he was sure he wouldn't make it that far.