Chapter 1: The Big Apple

[RIENNA]

"To live in New York for the first time will be an interesting experience for you. Whatever happens, keep a calm mind, especially since it's a fact that NO New Yorker would care enough to stop and help if you're caught in a sticky situation."

These words from my Uncle kept running through my mind since I got on the plane to get here in the Big "city that never sleeps." He left me with this advice to remember as I start my adventure in the Big Apple. But from a silent whisper, his words became an echo in my ears as panic starts to set in.

Heart beating. Palms sweaty. A buzzing sound in my ears.

"Wha--what? What do you mean I'm not on the list?"

"I'm sorry, Ms. Fuentes, but your name is no where to be found in our database. Are you sure you made reservations to stay in this hotel?" the lady in the counter asked formally, obviously not concerned about my current dilemma.

"Of course I'm sure! My dad and I made sure ourselves. We faxed a photocopy of my latest school ID, my passport and birth certificate to the agency. We even paid a down payment for the room. Your email said that's all we needed to do to..." I trailed off when she interrupted.

"Excuse me, but did you say our 'email'??"

"Um..." my mind backtracked, remembering if that's really what I said, "Yes."

"Oh, I'm terribly sorry ma'am..." Is she really...? "...but we never send emails to random clients to endorse any promos and offers of this hotel. I'm afraid you and your father got tricked by a scam."

--------

A SCAM!! Of course, why didn't I expect that?! No wonder it was almost too easy to get a hotel room in New York! I was probably too excited with the fact that I got accepted in NYU that I was blinded to the fact that there could setbacks in this major operation. Now here I am, alone in the big city with no one to turn to for help.

"...No New Yorker would care enough to stop and help..."

"YEAH TITO! I get it, I'm on my own!" I yelled frantically, feeling so frustrated that I had to burst.

Then I noticed some New Yorkers cast a glance in my direction, scrutinizing me, but then quickly looking back as if I was just a random citizen who lost her wallet. Hmm... Well, I guess their used to this kind of things. I wonder what kind of wierdos and freaks New Yorkers come across with everyday.

"Ruff! Ruff!" Trever barked, trying to get my attention by tugging on the the aglet of my shoelaces.

"Oh Trever, I have no idea what to do now. We can't go back home empty handed, that's just not an option now." I told him as I knelt down to tie my shoelace in which he loosened.

Trever is a Golden retriever puppy that my parents gave me as a farewell gift, to accompany me in times I get lonely, downhearted, or in times I just need someone to talk to.

In other words, in times like THIS.

I sat on a bench at a nearby park from the hotel, wondering what my next step would be. I placed Trever on my lap in which he made himself comfortable. My bags and suitcases are beside me, occupying the whole bench. I checked the time. 6PM. I'm supposed to be in my hotel room now, and in an hour I was scheduled to have a video chat with my parents to give them the update on how I was doing so far.

In other words, I have less than an hour to fix my dilemma before my parents go crazy and call the PNP to come to my aid. (Of course, I'm just exaggerating, but you get the point.)

As if on cue, my stomach grumbled. Trever clearly heard it and barked in agreement...at least, I think he was agreeing.

"You're right, Trever. I guess it's not use thinking on an empty stomach. Let's grab a bite to eat, maybe we'll get lucky and..." I trailed off, not wanting to sound too hopeful...

Only to get my hopes "scammed" in the end.

Scores:

New York: 1 

Rienna: 0

------

After using all my strength and will power to carry my belongings with me, Trever and I finally made our way to a nearby cafe to have dinner. Trever was a big help for following me with loyalty; it saved me the hassle to carry him or make sure every now and then that he was still following me. Leaving my things in a Storage Counter, we took our place in a table outside the cafe since animals aren't allowed inside.

I looked at the menu and thanked God silently that the prices were cheap and affordable. I didn't feel like using up all my money in just one meal, especially since I still have no idea where I'll be staying for tonight.

I ordered Carbonara with Mushroom Soup, and a Coke, chewing slowly, but not really enjoying the meal, my head still in the search for a solution to my current conflict. If I call my parents and asked them for help, they'd just insist on me getting a plane ticket back home. But that's almost impossible and what about my application to NYU? No, that's clearly not an option.

But if I don't ask them for help... who do I ask then? I'm all alone... I'm in a state of panic and worry... Starting to fear the unknown... my hopes getting frailer by the second.

Tears start to form in my eyes, and though I try to wipe them, it just starts forming all over again.

But then...

"Miss, is this your dog?"

A deep, old voice spoke and snapped me out of a trance. I turned and blinked, then in my vision, I saw a man holding up Trever by his collar, and in his mouth was a half-eaten Chicken Wing.

"He stole my meal." the old man said, his eyes narrowed but with a calm voice, like he was stating a matter of fact.

I widened my eyes and gasped, "Oh Trever!!" I took him in my arms and he dropped the wing in response. "Bad boy, bad boy!" I scolded, "I'm sorry sir, I didn't..."

"Didn't teach your dog not to steal from an old man's plate, huh? Nevermind. What can we do, what's done is done." he said neutrally, but with eyes still narrowed.

"I'm really sorry, sir." I say as I hang my head in shame.

"Hmm." he said, with those critically narrowed eyes.

It was only then that I realized he was examining me.

"What's the matter, sir?" I asked nervously.

"I think I should be asking YOU that." he says.

At that moment, he offered me his hankerchief.

It was only then that I realized that the tears (that was just forming in my eyes a minute ago) was already streaming down my face like a waterfall.

"Oh." was all I could say.

"Let's try that again..." he coughed, as if clearing his throat, "What's the matter, miss?"

[End of Chapter 1]

*Writer's Note: This is the first chapter for my first ever story in Wattpad. I actually have no idea what life in New York is like, but I do have a friend who lives there so I'm asking him how it is and getting some pointers on how to describe the place.

If you like the first chapter, please keep reading because a newbie like me could really use a lot of support and advices. Thank you!