dinner for 5 chapter 5

"this extract takes place during the story dinner for 5 a short story in john flanagans book the lost stories. the rangers will and halt are away on a mission and gilan is filling in. the chef and owner of the heaped platter jenny is being held captive by"

"WHAT" gilan exploded turning to jen who had raised her eyebrows

"I SWEAR IF THEY HURT YOU.."

"gilan calm down its just a story" but she didn't sound convinced

"gil calm down jens here so they didn't hurt her obviously"

will reasoned with his friend who slumped back putting a protective arm around his girlfriend

crowley continued

"3 men who had previously stolen from the silversmith and had planned to use her house before leaving town. unfortuneatly the lady had been home and was now being held by the 3 thieves"

"thats the discription done" crowley said

"GET ON WITH IT" they all yelled at him beside the couriers, halt and george. crowley continued quickly

TOMAS LEANED AROUND THE DOORJAMB INTO THE KITCHEN. The large window facing onto the village high road would allow any passerby to see him and his men if they went farther into the room. He gestured to Jenny. "Pull that curtain."

gilan growled

She eased past him and pulled the curtain across, cutting off the view of the street. Satisfied that he couldn't be seen, Tomas moved into the kitchen and prowled around, looking in containers, opening and shutting drawers. Nuttal and Mound entered with him, but they contented themselves by sitting on the straight-backed chairs at the kitchen table.

this time it was jen who growledremembering the state of her kitchen

Tomas's eye fell on the plum tart, which Jenny had set to cool on the sill of the side window. "What's this then?"

"how about a plum tart" will suggested

most of them snickered

"It's a plum tart," she told him.

"oh wow maybe next time" jenny scowled at him reaching for her lable but seeing her expression gilan obliged whacking his friend across the head. will slumped back and growned

There was a dangerous tone in her voice that should have told him to keep his hands off, but Tomas was used to ignoring such warnings. He seized the pie dish and brought it to the kitchen table. Setting it down, he drew his dagger, cut a large, uneven chunk out of the pie and crammed it in his mouth. He chewed for a few seconds, then a look of distaste came over his face and he allowed a large, half-chewed mouthful to spill out of his mouth onto the kitchen table. He tossed the rest of the slice beside it.

"animals" alyss said with disgust the others agreed

"much like will" alyss continued will frowned and glared at her

"i'm the one that cooks" he exclaimed

crowley contined before they could continue

"Not sweet enough," he exclaimed angrily. "Should be sweeter than that."

"its a plum tart i like it like that!" gilan argued frowning at the manuscript

Jenny's eyes narrowed. It was one thing to break into her home and hold her captive. But such oafish criticism of her cooking took things to a new level of enmity. "The filling is made from plums," she said. "They're supposed to be tart. That's what plums taste like."