Chapter 15

Author's Note:

Hopefully this will be my last apology for lack of updating. Sorry! It's 2020 though, a rough year for most people for several reasons, including myself. But I'm in a better place mentally now, have a new laptop and a clear vision for what's to come in this story. I will be wrapping it up soon and I have an idea for a new book!

WARNING: The following chapter has triggering content. It contains violence and accounts of abuse taken from various real life situations.

---

Amy Faber

Jasmine and I spoke at length about Kaiser. I updated her on his milestones and showed her different videos and pictures to fill in the months she'd missed.

When Hamza came home, I asked him to take Kaiser away so I could have a heart to heart with Jasmine. She was reluctant at first but I assured her they would only be upstairs and he'd bring her down after we'd have an open and honest conversation.

When were finally alone, I asked her to speak to me. 

"Just tell me everything that has been happening and how you feel. I just want to help you."

So Jasmine started her story, right from the beginning and I sat in silence, listening.

Jasmine Faber

"You know how I met Jannic and was taken away by him. He was so handsome, he spoke German perfectly and came across as bit of a bad boy but seemed like a softie inside. He used to spoil me with presents and make me feel like I was a princess. But then when our relationship became serious, things began changing. He became possessive and we started arguing. He started becoming aggressive. He suggested moving to Germany when we got married and I was against it at first but then he made it sound like that was what we needed in our relationship. He made it sound like it would be a fresh new start and things would get better for us. So I agreed and ended up trapped there.

You ask me why I don't leave him. You make it sound like it's so easy. You don't understand. 

At first, it was little things. He used to say he doesn't like my clothes, made me change them so often. Then he used to pick on my weight. He used to openly look at prettier girls and tell me I should dress like them, wear make up like them. He picked on every little thing about my appearance until I hated looking in the mirror. No matter how much I dressed up, nothing was good enough for him.

He hated my food. There was always something wrong even when it seemed delicious to me. I used to argue with him and he'd shout back at me. Then he'd apologise and say he was sorry. He used to say that he has always been picky about his food and that's just an aspect of him I'd have to live with if I loved him. That was his excuse for a lot of things. That I should accept it simply because that was just him and if I loved him, I'd just deal with it.

I once tried to tell a friend but I didn't know he went through my phone regularly. He found the messages I had sent to her. He blocked her and said he felt so betrayed. He said he hated it when issues within the household were shared to outsiders and that we should sort out any issues between us by ourselves. He even cried and made me promise any issues I had, I would talk to him about it, not an outsider.

It was after that, he stopped letting me sleep. He would just push and shove every time I dozed off saying he couldn't sleep and needed my company. He'd catch up on his sleep during the day. We both worked part time. I worked as a cleaner and he worked in a factory. But when he slept, I had to cook and clean because if he woke up to a messy house and no dinner, I'd face a lot of aggression. I learnt that the hard way. In fact, that was what had happened the first time he hit me. I'd put dinner in the oven and fell asleep at the table. Woke up to being slapped off my chair because the dinner was burnt. Of course, he apologised later but said he couldn't help himself because he was so hungry and all I had to do was take the food out of the oven on time.