Separation Anxiety

Chapter 17

Peeta and I have been attached at the hip the whole day.

In fact, I'm almost in his seat at dinner tonight.

Tonight is the last night before we're married. But we don't get to spend it together like we'd like.

No, Effie says 'according to tradition', that it's bad luck to see the bride before the wedding. So that includes seeing each other when we wake up.

I said straight forwardly that I didn't give a damn about tradition. She scoffed something about 'manners!' and went on to tell us that this was not our decision, she was 'not going to let us ruin our marriage by letting us see each other before we're officially wedded'.

I don't even know how I agreed to it.

I don't even know if I did.

I reach under the table and tangle my fingers with his that rest on my knee, drawing shapes and patterns that only he can put a name to. He squeezes and we both smile, not even really listening as Effie jabbers on.

"Katniss. Peeta. Katniss!" I snap back into the real world with wide eyes at Effie who's looking at me expectantly along with everyone else.

"Huh?" I say, bewildered. Everyone laughs good-naturedly and I blush, looking over at Peeta. He smiles sweetly and squeezes my hand.

"I said, what does it feel like to have one more night as a free woman?" Effie says.

"Oh!" I say, blushing excitedly and pushing my bangs from my eyes. "Uh, I don't really know, you know? It all feels kinda surreal," I say.

"That means she wants to get laid tonight but Effie won't let her." Jo shrugs, taking a big bite of her spaghetti. Mine and Peeta's jaws drop and I'm pretty sure his neck colors as much as mine.

"Manners!" Effie as well as shrieks. I roll my eyes at Johanna who just smirks at me.

"I can't help the truth." She murmurs, stuffing her face with spaghetti once again. I just glare at her. There's an awkward silence at the whole table, and Jo just snickers about it.

"So! My previous question!" Effie says finally, breaking the silence. Both Peeta and I turn to her, thankful for the conversation rolling again. I smile and shrug a little.

"I don't know. It just all feels so dreamlike." I say quietly, reaching down and squeezing Peeta's hand. "I'm finally marrying my star-crossed lover." The whole table smiles widely at me and I blush furiously, realizing how mushy that sounded. I look up at Peeta nervously and see him smiling just as widely at me. He leans over and presses a soft kiss to my nose, making me momentarily forget about the others. He rests his head on top of mine and looks over at Effie.

"Are you SUREE you want us away from each other tonight?" He says, smiling cheesily. She just rolls her eyes at us both.

"I told you both! I'm not letting you two spoil your marriage before it even starts!" She exclaims. I groan and keep my head on his shoulder while he lifts his to continue conversing, while it seems I've pooped out.

Maybe that'll help me sleep better tonight.

We sit around, talking mainly about the wedding and extra little things. I'll admit, I'm not really worried if the order gets messed up tomorrow, or if the chairs are hot pink, all I care is that I see Peeta waiting at the end of the aisle for me.

My biggest fear lately is not seeing him there. It's not seeing him there, and knowing where exactly he is. He got tired of waiting.

I clench Peeta's arm tighter just at the thought.