Love Thy Neighbour

The next morning the entire MacDell household woke up to a loud crashing of thunder. This crash caused Brittany, Alana, Jeremy and Michael to scream. Edward took to the girls room, and Kimberly took to the boys room. That just left Matthew and Jay, lying awake in their blankets, in their pyjama shorts, not knowing what to do.

"What time is it?", Jay grumbled.

Matthew reached to the clock on his bedside table, "Se-seven thirty".

Jay turned over and tilted his head up to notice that Matthew was hugging his knees, sitting up and lightly trembling.

"Ha! You're scared of thunder!", Jay remarked with glee, standing up.

"Am-am not!", Matthew defended, his voice a little squeaky. 

"Hey, it's okay man", Jay said, "I'm scared of lots of weird things".

"It's-it's not weird. And I'm not scared", Matthew said, before jumping and shrieking at an unexpected crash.

Jay cackled, "Y-yeah right".

Matthew crossed his arms, "It's not funny!"

"Your right", Jay said, clutching his belly as he laughed, "It's hilarious!"

Matthew groaned and stood up, about to speak, when he suddenly remembered what he had overheard last night. Jay was still cackling like an idiot, he had a cute cackle, even if his breath smelt a bit off in the morning. And he had really nice lips, it was almost as if he could-

"Matthew!", Kimberly remarked from the doorway. Matthew quickly snapped out of it. What, what was he even thinking? 

"Matt, would you mind helping me with the boys, they're kind of out of control".

"Uh, sure", Matthew said, stepping beside his mother. 

They were about to walk out, when Jay said, "What about me? I can help too".

Kimberly hesitated a moment, "Okay, fine. One boy kid each".

Jeremy was throwing pillows across the room, jumping up and down on his bed. Meanwhile, Michael was sitting in the corner, crying. Matthew approached Michael, while Kimberly tried to hush Jeremy. Yet it seemed like the more Kimberly did, the more energised Jeremy became. 

"The more you tell him to stop, the more he'll want to keep going. He's feeding on your anger and frustration", Jay stated, stepping forward. Yes, even Jay couldn't believe the insightful words that had just come out of his mouth. 

Jay reached up to the bed and scooped little Jeremy in his arms. Jeremy kicked and squirmed to get away. "Hey, relax buddy, this isn't funny", Jay said sternly. Kimberly just watched in awe as Jay kept a stern eye on Jeremy, causing him to slowly squirm less and less. And soon, the boy was calmed down. 

"Fine", Jeremy said with a sigh, "Just put me down".

Jay lowered him, "I wouldn't trust him Jay", Kimberly said urgently.

"Nah", Jay said, "He'll be fine".

As soon as Jay dropped him, Jeremy wiped his eyes a little and looked up at his mum, "Mummy, can you make me scrambled eggs?"

For the first time in weeks, the entire family sat together to eat breakfast. The storm had died down, and they mostly ate calmly, without saying a word. Kimberly seemed kind of drifted, Matthew noticed, like her mind was elsewhere.

"Uh, mum", Matthew said.

Kimberly looked to her son. Matthew opened his mouth, but then closed it, "Nothing".