Chapter 30

*MYLES*

It was December and I couldn't be happier, there were a few loose ends but it's something I'm working on. I'll never be the same but at least I could feel my heartbeat and happiness course through my veins. Clark was still avoiding me and I'm going to put an end to it. The only conversation we have is in class and that's mostly about school work. I wanted a friend and I liked how things started between us but ever since I rejected him he's giving me the cold shoulder.

I'm waiting in the food court as I spot Clark walking inside. His gaze was serious as he griped his backpack. I waved him down as he didn't bother looking at me. He kept staring at the ground. "Hi, can we talk?" I went down to business.

"I have to get to class, so I don't have much time," I notice he was bluffing.

"Just give me a minute or two," I almost began to plead.

He took a deep breath as he sat in front of me. I offered him some of my fries but he nodded. "Clark....," he interrupted me.

"I know what you're going to say so I'll stop you right there. Yes, I don't take rejection well," he stared at me with his big blue eyes as he adjusted his glasses.

"Clark, I like you as a friend and I hope you can understand that."

He took another deep breath. "I'm sorry, I know I've been an ass."

He gazed at me when I reached out to grab his hand. "Clark, I don't think I've told you why I moved to California," his eyes more concentrated on me.

I told him what happened to Nathan and what I did to myself. He never interrupted me and he never questioned my motives. He just listened. I could tell he was a bit in shock as he just gazed at me. "I feel like a complete ass now," he scratched the top of his head.

"It's ok, you didn't know."

"I'm sorry," he squeezed my hand as I did feel a pinch of sadness in my heart but it wasn't as intense. It was a tiny prick, the more I talk about this the more I remove the dark pain I felt inside.

"You're forgiven," He smirked at me.

He grabbed a couple of fries as we chatted a bit more until he had to go to his next class. I had my appointment with Mrs. Fischer. I was beginning to feel whole again. Every day the warmth inside me overpowered the emptiness that once occupied my body. The more I talked about my past the more I saw the bright warmth fill my body. I'm glad Clark and I can now be friends without jealousy.

********

I laid on the comfortable couch as I stared at the ceiling. I couldn't help but smile as joyful thoughts came to mind. Atticus has been such a great guy to me. I only have one red flag but that's yet to be discussed with him. He wants to keep our relationship discreet for now. I usually overthink and would probably question his motives but he's made me feel again and I thank him every day for helping me come out of this dark void that I trapped myself for a long time.

"I've seen you smile more often and I've seen that you've progressed so well, how are you feeling today?"

"I've felt like a massive wave has calmed down into a subtle splash, everything moves so gently. I don't feel a dark void inside me. I feel free and alive," I did feel all those emotions and it was all thanks to Atticus.

I heard her scribble. "I know, I've seen such a positive change in yourself. How is your relationship with Atticus?"

"It's going great but he wants to keep things discreet and I find myself hiding from myself whenever we are in public."