Chapter 13

Chapter 13

“The fourth competition is...easy! All you have to do is make sure the egg we give you doesn’t crack until tomorrow. However...this egg is special. It has thirty one spells casted on it, and it might fly, jump, heat up, start fires, summon a storm...and many more. Only those who manage to prevent the egg from cracking will progress to the next round. I know this seems silly but it really isn’t, since you have to work with the people who signed you up for the contest to keep the egg safe.

Sophie had to admit...she wasn’t sure she would be able to keep the egg alive. She eyed the 8 princes, who all looked nervous. “What?” she asked. “Let’s just say Felix has a habit of breaking eggs,” chuckled Chan nervously. “I don’t know how I’m going to get through this round,” she sighed as she nearly slammed her face against her seat.

“Let’s try our best!!!” encouraged Han, his bright smile glowing. “Let’s do this!” continued Sophie as the staff gave out the eggs to the competitors. “This egg looks normal though,” Sophie said as she held it in her hand. The 8 boys peered over her head and they blinked cautiously.

Suddenly, the egg began burning up as Sophie let out a yelp and threw the egg into the air. Felix panicked as he formed a portal and dropped it into Hyunjin’s hand, who began to scream dramatically. Then it was teleported to Changbin, who panicked as the egg began to heat up even more. Sophie placed her hand out and pulled water upwards, catching the burning egg before freezing it in. “Whew,” sighed Chan as they looked at each other worriedly. “Well this isn’t a good start,” Sophie muttered.

After about 10 minutes, the egg finally cooled down and she held it back in her hand. “Should we get a pouch for this?” asked Sophie. No one disagreed and another 10 minutes later, Chan was holding the pouch, with the egg in it. He had insisted, because he wanted to be the Mother Kangaroo for the little egg.

Suddenly, the egg exploded out of the bag, jumping towards the rocky floor. Seungmin instantly formed a portal and the egg reappeared in his hand, before it leapt towards Felix. The egg then bounced off Felix’s head and into Jeongin’s arms, before it launched back to the floor. Sophie managed to catch it as she froze it again. “I think we should keep it frozen,” she trembled, her hands shaking while she slipped the egg back into the pouch.

“How about we go somewhere soft, so the egg doesn’t die if it jumps out again,” suggested Minho as he formed a portal before their eyes. They stepped out and Sophie realised she was on snow.

“W-what?” Sophie looked around and realised they were on a DAMN MOUNTAIN. “Snow is soft. I g-guess,” Minho explained, a smile forming on his face. Sophie wanted to tell him he didn’t think this through, but looking at his gentle smile, she let go of the idea. Chan opened another portal and pulled out jackets, which fit all of them except Sophie perfectly.

Hers was oversized and it’s not like she cared. It kept her warm as the 9 of them crouched together, keeping close.
After a bit of crouching, Sophie asked, “Who’s jacket is this?”

“I dunno. I think Felix’s?” replied Chan, studying her red and blue jacket. A wind blew and she nearly toppled over before she heard noises.

“They’re all gonna be there.”

“Yea...who goes there?”

Sophie’s eyes narrowed as she spotted a group of people with a black fog shrouded around them appear. Antis. “How did you get on the mountain?” one of them exclaimed the moment they spotted them.

“It’s not like you own this mountain,” retorted Chan furiously. “Well yeah, we were passing through…” The shortest Anti began as another one slapped their hand on his face. “That’s besides the point. They must be the Rulers of Stays if they were to get all the way up here without any gear. Get them! They’ll be perfect food for us, especially the Rulers,” ordered the tallest one. The Antis instantly swarmed forward as the egg began to bounce again.