chapter 12

“After deciding the results of the event, we have made up groups for tomorrow’s event. For group 1…” the announcer began yelling out the groups as Sophie strained her ears to hear what the announcer was yelling.

“For group 7 we have Bhavishya from MIDZY, Julien from Blink, Sophie from STAY and Meena from MIDZY!”

“Haah? How lucky could I be to be placed in the group with the only friends I have among these competitors,” she muttered to herself. “AYE!” Meena yelled excitedly as she whacked the back of Sophie’s head. “OI!” Sophie yelped as she grabbed Meena and pummeled her head. “Ah, we are in a group with two crackheads,” chuckled Julien. Bhavishya shook her head. “You mean THREE!” she said as she joined them in chicken dancing in the middle of the arena, much to Julien’s displeasure. At the same time, she was pleased to be in a team with people she knew.

“This is a simple 4 versus 4 battle. The first one to get all 4 of the opposing side to yield wins. Or you could kick your opponent out of bounds. Only the top 7 groups will progress to the next round. May the first round competitors come onto the battlefield while the remaining ones go to the locker room?” screamed the announcer, who had puffy red cheeks due to how much he had to yell.

“I have a plan,” whispered Meena. “I dunno, you having a plan makes me slightly worried,” teased Sophie as Meena nearly lunged at her. Bhavishya seemed pretty spaced out. “Hello? Hi?” Julien waved in front of her. Bhavishya was scared of the fact that they were going against Lily.

Sophie on the other hand, was pretty relieved they were going against someone as weak as Lily. “We’ll be fine. Just stick to my plan. It’ll work. They’re team has a Stay, another Multi, and an Ikonic, who has the ability to manipulate fire. After the first round ended, Sophie was looking at their opponents. There was Lily and Hera of course, followed up with some guy called Eric, who was supposedly a Multi, and Indigo, an Ikonic, who’s hands were already on fire.

“Hmmmm…” Sophie tapped her temple quietly before following the others onto the stage for their first battle. Right before they left, Stray Kids were screaming encouragement at her until she decided to stuff each of their mouths with bread. “I promise I’ll do well so the Stay Nation looks good,” she said as they suffocated her in a bear hug. She had to find out what the hell these boys were working out with.

Sophie walked out as she felt the hood of her usual attire fall off her head as her hair began flying because of the crazy wind that was blowing along the arena. “SAVE MY HAIR!” she screamed as Bhavishya tried her best to hold down her own hair.

“Maybe having short hair would be a good idea,” chuckled Julien. “Yeah probably, I’m sure things such as Ponytails don’t exist,” retorted Meena. Sophie just laughed as she tied her hair up. “You’re going down,” crowed Lily. “Seriously? You’re going down? That’s the best phrase you could think of????” Sophie asked as she struggled to hold back her urge to crack up and fall down.

“Then I shall say it for her, better watch out before we actually murder you in this arena.” Hera sneered. Sophie’s smile erased from her face. “Why are you even lamer,” sighed Sophie, her urge to laugh fading.

“Take three steps back, and attack the moment you hear the bell,” instructed the referee. “1...2...3…” counted Sophie quietly as she took three steps. There was a monstrously loud “DING” as she turned around quickly to see fire coming straight at her. Blocking it with a wave of water from the muddy ground, she slammed her hands on the earth, with crystals jutting out and forming a wall. Bhavishya then split open the earth as all four of them hopped into the tunnel, before she closed the top. She sucked in all the air around her into the ground and she made a huge ball of it. Sophie added some water to the ball while meena and julien added a fire inside the growing ball. The orb looked oddly pretty but dangerously scary.