Letter to your Crush

Saurav Ganguly is my first crush. So, My normal letter to him.

Hi Sourav,

Let me begin by saying that I am one of your greatest fans. Right from my childhood I have developed a special liking for the  game of cricket. This is largely due to you. The first match I saw was Natwest series final 2002 at Lord’s where you made quickfire 60 off 45 balls. I still has the video of you waving your t shirt after that famous win.

Me and my friend used to just read statistics on cricinfo as a pastime. That’s how I got to know more about you. Dravid even described you as the god of Offside. Your offside drives, straight six coming down the track are awesome. I loved those shots. I also liked the elegance of your batting.

Some would say you couldn't play on the leg side. Others would say you can't play bouncers. Despite those flaws, you managed to score runs. That’s what makes you special.Your attitude of never back was what I like the most..

Then among some match fixing controversies in 2000 where Indian cricket were going through the dark phase, you became the captain. That was the time when we all realized that your true greatness was more than batting. You became the most aggressive Indian Captain ever. Statements by the Steve Waugh’s would now get matching answers. You became the center of Indian Cricke. You made Indian team believe that we can be more than just tigers at home. And forget cricket, you taught us aggression, and the confidence to take on the world. 

Ever since then your guts has been a source of inspiration for me. No Indian can forget your inspirational captaincy in the 2003 World Cup, though we lost to Australia in final.

Dada, when you were ousted from the team in 2006, everybody felt for you because it was for non-cricketing reasons. You did come back with a bang in both versions of the game which very few could have dreamt off (except Mohinder Amarnath).

It indeed was good for you as you fought back to get into the team. You taught us yet again on what to do in unfavorable circumstances. You fought and fought hard. You won back your place. And you proved yet again that you deserve a much better exit than what you got earlier. You are loved by so many people In India.

I hope you also succeed the game that is life. You can never forget heroes that you grow up with. And You are one of those. Thanks Sourav, for all those memories.

Regards,

KS