Ch. 36 - Thoughtless Thistle (1)

"Twinkle, twinkle, little Athy~. How beautiful I am. I resemble my Lovely Mother, but my Father is annoying– not gonna lie. Oh, my Brother? He's so perfect. But I'm worried– God, life is horrid. I know I suck. At least idiotic Lucas clapped. Thanks, Lucas! But I still ain't accepting your confession~!"

Claude watched how his son once again nods off, nearly hitting his head on the desk beside his

Claude watched how his son once again nods off, nearly hitting his head on the desk beside his. He felt troubled, furrowing his brows when Arius jolted awake once more.

"Arius," Claude calls out, his usual character masking his concern. He settles his pen down, tired rubellites looking at the blond.

"W-what is it, Papa?" Arius gave an infrequent stutter, plastering on a strained grin. "Hahaha~! Was I perhaps bothering you?" Sorry, sorry!"

Diamonds bore holes through the Prince who scratched his head, the blond feeling uncomfortable under the stare. Claude was unresponsive for a moment.

The awkward laughter of Arius died down

The awkward laughter of Arius died down. He froze in his seat, his heart pounding like crazy inside his chest. He attempted to even his labored breaths.

'Oh dear, what's wrong? I didn't do any–'

Clashing thoughts plagued the young Prince's mind. Anxiety was like a curse bestowed to him by a monster, chaining his usually peaceful mind to a warzone.

'Well, maybe I have been acting a bit jittery lately. I mean, I did ignore Erembour today.' Arius felt like biting his nails but refrained from doing so. Instead, he nibbled on his lips.

Claude caught on to this, stirring something unpleasant in his heart. It made him sick recognizing the miserable state his son was in—faint black circles, sluggish movements, disheveled hair, etcetera.

This didn't sit well with the Emperor.

And before Claude could even acknowledge his thoughts, his mind—along with his body—was faster than him. They were much more knowledgeable about his inner wishes. And, not as stubborn as the man himself.