Chapter Five: Letting people in is too dangerous

"Hey, what are you doing here? Couldn't sleep?" A sudden voice echoed through the room, and I startle, quickly closing the book I was reading. I look up and see Corbyn Besson's face staring at me with a grin.

"I'm really sorry, I know I shouldn't be here, I'll go immediately," I mumble as I grab all my stuff together. I try avoiding making eye contact with him, to hide my embarrassment.

"I couldn't sleep either." He ignores my previous words and sits down next to me.

"What are you reading?" He tries looking at the title of the book I'm holding.

"I don't know, but it's fascinating. I can't understand everything, but it's still beautiful," I whisper with a soft voice, still not looking at him. Becoming the center of attention is the last thing we need in our mission.

"What do you mean you don't understand everything?" He looks genuinely interested at me, which makes me confused. I thought he was gonna be some stuck-up rich kid looking at me like I was garbage. But he isn't.

"Well, there are some words in here I have never heard of before, but after reading the whole sentence I usually figure it out anyway. It just takes a little longer." I uncomfortably move around a little, and play with the leather bracelets on my wrist.

He nodded slowly, like he understood what I was saying. "What is your favorite book?" he asked.

"In the dome we don't have a lot of books, so I don't have one. Must be nice to have so much from something you can pick a favorite." I laugh, but it isn't a happy one.

The smile on his face fades, and makes place for a uncomfortable expression. He stays quiet for a second, probably figuring out what to say.

"How's life in the dome?" he suddenly asked. This guy seems to like random questions.

When he sees my surprised face expression, he realizes what he said and starts apologizing. "I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable, you don't have to answer if you don't want to. I wasn't thinking, I shouldn't have asked you that question." He rubs the back of his neck.

"It's okay, I didn't think you would be interested in what happens inside the dome," I explain.

"Of course I am. It's part of our town," he pointed out.

"Well, to answer your question, it's hard. You have to fight for literally everything. Your food, your clothes, your living space, every single need you can think of. But what would you expect from a place full of people who only care about themselves?" I sigh deeply.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that. I wish you could've left earlier." His voice sounded like a whisper.

Suddenly I feel the need to defend the dome. "Don't get me wrong, the dome is awful, but it's still my home. I have my mother there, my friends, it's the place I grew up. It's more my home than this will ever be."

I start to feel tears welling up in the corners of my eyes, and bite on my bottom lip to prevent them falling down. I'm not some weak little girl who's gonna cry because she's homesick. Not when that home is the dome.

I quickly pull myself together again. "But still, I'm really grateful to be here. We all are. It's an incredible chance and we can't believe we got it," I lie. I need this guy to trust me.

"I get it, it's normal. I can't expect you to immediately feel at home here. Those things take time, but I still hope you'll soon feel more comfortable here." He gives me a smile, and I can't resist grinning back.

"I hope so too. And books will definitely help," I joke, trying to lighten up the atmosphere a little. iI don't like heavy conversations, it makes me feel trapped.

His face brightens, and lights glisten in his eyes. I feel my cheeks starting to burn, and quickly turn my head away. I really didn't expect him being so kind, and I'm not used to being nice either. I'm used to yell and snarl at people, making them fear me, so this whole thing is new for me.

"Are you excited for the gathering in a few weeks? It's gonna be a pretty big deal," he asked.

I immediately prick up my ears, this could be important. "Yes, I heard. It's in a huge museum, isn't it?" I question him. The more information I can get, the better.

"Yeah, normally all the big gatherings are in other banquet halls or gardens, but since this one is for the fifty years of existence of our town, they wanted to do it big," he said enthusiastically.

"Sounds classy. I've never been to a fancy party," I admit.

"It's gonna be amazing, trust me. There will be music, food, dancing, it's gonna be a night you'll never forget."

Of course we won't, it's a night that will change everything. For us, but also for them. Although they don't know it yet.

"Sure." I streak my finger over the cover of the book I'm holding, to avoid looking him in the eyes. I feel like an awful person acting so innocent towards him, especially when he's so kind and has no clue.

His gazes moves to my hands holding the book. "You can take that with you for some weeks, if you want."

"Really? You can take books with you?" Once again, I look surprised at him.

"Of course, that's what library is for. You borrow the books, and bring them back as soon as you have finished them," he explained.

"But what if someone doesn't return their book? What if someone steals it?" I ask concerned.

"People don't do that here. They know stealing is for disrespecting people."

ouch.

As soon as he sees I'm offended, he realizes what he just said, and his cheeks turn a dark red color. "I'm really sorry, I didn't mean.. I didn't mean it like that. I'm sorry," he stuttered.

"I gotta go. Trying to get some sleep." I take my stuff and the book I was reading, and before he can say anything, I sprint out the library and leave him speechless.

As I make my way to the exit, I see a book standing on a shelf, about the history of our town and the dome. I quickly grab that one as well and run back to my room.

U can already punch myself for believing this guy was gonna be nice. I should've known deep down, everybody will always think condescendingly of us. I broke my own rule. I cannot afford trusting people here, there's too much at stake. Letting people in is too dangerous.