Chapter 20

"I'm not talking about that bet," Joey says, "I'm talking about the bet that your best friend Chelsea, Ashley, Luke and Ryan made."

Huh?

"What bet?" I ask, while raising an eyebrow. So there's another bet?

Joey's eyes widen, "Crap, you don't know." I roll my eyes, "Clearly."

"Y'know, forget I said anything." Joey says, and gets up from the bench. I pull him by his hand and made him sits on the bench again.

"I'm not gonna forget you said anything," I say, air quoting the word anything, "because I heard that my best friend made a bet based on me."

Joey groans, "Should've not said anything." He says to himself.

"Joey?" Someone calls from behind us, and we turn our head to the owner of the voice.

"Kayla." Joey replies, with a blank expression on his face. Like, really no expression.

"What, uh, what are you doing here?" The girl whose name Kayla, says.

"I live near here." Joey replies simply, it seems like he doesn't want to see Kayla's face.

"You live near here? What about LA?" Kayla asks, but Joey doesn't answer. I have to break the ice.

"Hi, I'm Alice." I say and stand up, offering my hand to her.

She shakes my hand, "Mikaela, but you can call me Kayla. So, you're Joey's girlfriend?"

I shake my head, "No, no, I'm actually his sister."

Kayla's face makes a confused look, "Sister? I thought he only has brother."

"Yeah, long story." I say and chuckle, and she nods.

"Well, I'm gonna leave. See you around." Kayla says and gives me a smile, which I returned.

Once she's out of the park, I sit again. "That girl seems nice."

Joey sighs, running a hand through his hair, "She, um, she's Adele's twin sister."

Oh. So that's why Joey couldn't look at her. "Oh," I say. "She's pretty."

"They moved a month after Adele's accident. They said they needed a new life." Joey says, looking down to the grass.

"Is that why you agree to move here?" I ask slowly and carefully.

"No. I have no idea they moved to San Clemente." Joey shrugs, his eyes are still looking to the grass.

"You want to come home?" I ask, standing up.

He doesn't say anything, and got up. He walks in front of me and I'm following behind him. I move beside him, but didn't say anything. I don't know how Joey feels, but I do know that it hurts. You see the face of the person you loved, but it's not exactly the person you fell in love with.

I forgot to bring my keys and apparently Joey too. So I knock on the front door, and Dad opens it for us. We come in and Joey immediately made his way to his bedroom.

I rested myself on the couch, until something hits me. I don't even know what my Dad does for a living. All I know is that he's good at cooking.

"Dad?" I ask, getting up from my laying position.

"Yeah?" He answers from the kitchen, he's currently cooking.

"What's your job?" I ask to the point. I hear him chuckle.

"Well, I'm a Physicist." He answers and my jaw dropped. I make my way to the kitchen and sit on the counter.

"A physicist?" I ask in an unbelieving tone.