Chapter 4

The second day of school it wasn't nearly as hard to get up and get ready. I actually got up a little early. I spent the drive to school reminding myself that Lucas and I had once been friends and we should be able to be friends again. All of those feelings and emotions were a thing of the past.

I pulled into my parking spot and I immediately got nervous. I wanted everything to go smoothly, but what if things got complicated and someone got hurt? Before my thoughts could go any further there was a tap on my window. I looked up and Lucas was smiling at me.

I opened my door and said, "Oh, hey!"

"Hey! I got you breakfast." He said as he handed me a breakfast sandwich from the country store across the street from the school.

I smiled and said, "Thanks, but you didn't have to do that."

"I don't mind. It'll be your turn tomorrow. Just like freshman year." He gave me a sideways glance and he must have seen the hesitation in my face because he quickly added. "Since we are going to be friends again."

"Friends." I repeated and I immediately felt a little calmer. "Do you still like cheese on your sausage biscuit?"

"Of course!" He laughed. We headed into school laughing and talking like the last few years had never happened. Lucas walked with me to my locker, where Claire and Ryan were waiting.

Ryan was the first one to speak, "Hey man. I had no idea you were coming back this year. Coach Jacobs must be stoked." They did that guy handshake and fist bump, that all guys seem born to know how to do.

"Ryan! Yeah, I had my first practice yesterday. It's good to be back." Lucas smiled and looked my way. We locked eyes for a quick second.

"Okay. Okay. You guys go talk football in front of someone else's locker." I said as I pushed between them.

"Fine. Come on Lucas. I'll introduce you to some of the newer guys. I think you'll know some of the others."

"Bye dorks." Claire said. We both watched them walk away. Claire turned back towards me and said, "Well, you guys looked awfully cozy."

"What? No we didn't." I said as I was putting my binders and notebooks in my locker. "We were just talking." I don't know why I instantly felt so guilty.

"If you say so. How was Kyle last night? Was he mad that you came out with us last night?"

"He was okay. He wasn't in a great mood, but it's fine." I shrugged and shut my locker door. The warning bell rang right when the door clicked shut.

"Perfect timing." Claire said as we started towards our homerooms. "Just remember you deserve the absolute best and deserve to be treated like a princess."

"Thanks Claire." I said as I turned into Mrs. Bush's classroom.

Claire liked Kyle, she just didn't always love us together. She always said he was a great guy, but he was a great guy for a different girl. I know she wasn't trying to hurt me or be mean. She just wanted what was best for me and for me to be happy. My relationship with Kyle was never bad, but it wasn't always perfect.

In the beginning of our relationship we spent a lot of time together, but after the honeymoon stage I also wanted to spend time with my friends and he didn't really like that. He always wanted to stay home and watch a movie or only go out with his friends. I always tried to balance everything. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't, but no one ever stayed mad.

In homeroom, Mrs. Bush said there was nothing for us to do. She turned on a movie and said we could play on our phones if we wanted. Ryan and I turned to each other and started talking. We had been back in school for a day and Ryan had already found a girl he was interested in.