Chapter 10

I had finally realized my feelings for Lucas and his girlfriend shows up? That's just my luck. When she showed up and I asked him about it, he said he used to have one? What does that mean? If you are no longer dating a girl she doesn't just show up at your house at midnight.

As I was sitting there trying to comprehend the events of the night Ryan and Claire pulled up. I picked up my Michael Kors purse and got into the back seat.

"Hey!" Claire said.

"Hi guys." I said back.

"What's wrong?" Ryan asked while peaking at me in the rear-view mirror.

"Nothing." I lied.

"Something?" he said. "Why did you leave Lucas's?"

"Because his girlfriend showed up. I figured three was a crowd." I said staring out the window.

"His what?" Claire gasped and whipped around to look at me.

"Yep. His girlfriend." I sighed.

"Are you okay?" Claire asked.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" I asked.

"Ash. You don't have to hide it. It's quite obvious how you feel about Lucas.."

Ryan said. "I mean hell, you made your boyfriend leave and you stayed with Lucas."

"I... I don't know." I murmured.

"Talk to us, Ash." Claire said.

"Who knows, it might actually make you feel better." Ryan followed.

"Okay.." So I spent the next ten minutes giving them a brief summary of what happened. Talking about it surprisingly did help. "I think I love him..."

"I know you do." Claire said matter-of-fact-fully.

"And we are pretty sure he loves you, too." Ryan said.

"Obviously not. His girlfriend is with him right now."

"It sounds like he's got some loose ends that he needs to tie up, but most guys don't throw parties in hopes for one particular girl showing up." Ryan said.

"I don't want to talk about it anymore. Can we just go to your house? I'm really tired." I lied.

"Yeah.. Next stop Ryan's Man Cave." he laughed. He loved having the whole basement to himself. His parents rarely ever came down there and he could come and go as he pleased.

The rest of the car ride we were all silent. I was ready for this long night to come to an end. When we got to Ryan's, Claire took her usual spot on the couch and I took the futon in Ryan's room. I was getting everything ready so I could go to sleep when Ryan walked in; he was on the phone. I gave him a puzzled look. Who would he be talking to at nearly two in the morning? "Lucas" he mouthed.

"I'll be sure to let her know as soon as I talk to her, bro." he half smiled at me while Lucas was talking to him. "Alright. See ya." he hung up the phone and laid it on his night stand.

"Well?" I asked.

"Well what?" he asked grinning.

"You know what!" I said and threw my pillow at him.

"Oh! You mean Lucas?" he laughed.

"Yes.." I half whispered.

"He was calling to check on you and make sure you were okay. He didn't want to blow up your phone because he figured Kyle already was."

"I think Kyle finally went to sleep." I said quietly.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"I really don't know...I thought...and now..." I stammered. My eyes were starting to fill with tears. The second that girl at the door said she was Lucas's girlfriend I immediately got mad. At that moment I knew I was jealous, I was just too proud to admit it. That was really my problem. I was the one who was making this all so difficult.

"Okay. Slow down." Ryan said and came to sit beside me. "You thought what and now what?"

"I thought I knew what I wanted and now I'm sitting here confused and fighting back tears." I sighed and laid my head on his shoulder.

"One, don't fight back the tears. If you need to cry then do it. It might help. And two, what did you think you wanted?" He asked.

"Lucas." I sighed again.

"Then go get him." he said as he nudged me.

"It's not that simple." I shook my head.

"And why isn't it?" He asked.

"Because he has a girlfriend." I stated.

"No he doesn't Ashlyn."

"How do you know?" I asked.

"Because he told me."

"Then why did she drive all the way here?" I rebutted.

"I honestly can't answer that question, but I think you need to talk to Lucas. No one is ever going to make you as happy as he has. You guys have a connection that most people only dream about having with someone. You're lucky and I don't want to see you miss out on this because you're scared."

"Ryan, can we just go to sleep?"

"Yeah, if that's what you want. Can you just make me a promise first?" he asked.

"Yeah.." I said.

"Follow your heart. You've always been the smart girl who thinks and never makes a decision without weighing all of the pros and cons, but I really think you need to follow your heart." Ryan explained.

I sat there for a few minutes before finally saying, "Goodnight Ryan."

Ryan leaned over and kissed my forehead before he got up and said, "Goodnight Ashlyn."

I laid awake for what felt like hours. Was Ryan right? Did I just need to stop over thinking and over analyzing everything? I just didn't understand why that girl would show up if she wasn't Lucas's girlfriend anymore. To get any answers I needed to talk to Lucas.  I just couldn't decide if I was brave enough to do that yet.