Chapter 12

"Wait, what?" Claire asked after I finished explaining what had happened at the park.

"I didn't know what else to do. I felt so bad and he looked so sad. I couldn't say no."

"Yes, you could have. And you should have." She was more aggravated with me then I really thought she would be.

"I'm sorry. I can call him and cancel." I said as I pulled out my phone. I didn't want to ruin Claire's night.

"No. Don't do that, but what are you going to do about Lucas?" Claire sat on her bed and looked at me.

I stood there and didn't say anything because I really wasn't sure. I wanted to talk to him, but I had already told Kyle that I would go with him. "I don't know. I guess he will have to wait until homecoming is over."

"Well, that's not fair, Ash."

"It's not like we've spoken in the last few weeks anyways." I said as I hung my dress on the bathroom door.

"And who's fault is that?" She said as she was slipping her dress on.

"That's not fair. He's the one who lied about having a girlfriend. He should have told me about her from the beginning. I just don't get it." I started putting my dress on.

"I think you need to talk to him." Claire had a look on her face as if she wanted to say more, but couldn't.

"What do you know?" I said crossing my arms.

"Nothing." She said quickly and she shifted her weight from her left foot to the right as she looked away from me.

"Tell me, please Claire." I sounded like I was begging.

"Okay, but please don't say you heard anything from me."

"I won't. Promise." We both sat on Claire's bed.

"Lucas and I talked one day last week. Ryan and I have been taking turns keeping Lucas from catching up to you in the afternoons. Last Friday he vented to me a little bit.

"Look I know you're trying to keep me from catching up to Ashlyn."

"Okay, well then just make it easy for me and just stand here so I don't have to chase you down."

"I really need to talk to her. I need to explain everything."

"He looked like a sad puppy dog. His eyes were all big and beggy looking." Claire said.

"She doesn't want to talk to you. She just needs space. I don't think anything you say can fix it right now."

"I broke up with Jessie months ago. She came here to try and get me back because I had been ignoring all of her texts and phone calls. We dated for almost a year while I was gone. It was never very serious for me. I thought about Ashlyn every day while I was gone. Jessie is a great girl, but I couldn't get Ashlyn out of my head. I didn't want to hurt Jessie, but I ended it."

"Then why did she tell Ashlyn she was your girlfriend?"

"I honestly don't know. She knew who Ashlyn was. I had pictures of us throughout the house. I never told her how I felt about Ashlyn, but I never really tried to hide it either."

"So, you think that she told Ashlyn to upset her and make it seem like you were unavailable?"

"When he told me that I had to pick my jaw up off the ground. I believe him though. You should have seen him as he was talking to me Ashlyn. She isn't his girlfriend."

When Claire told me about Lucas and Jessie not really being together I wanted to cry. I had been ignoring him for two weeks and running away every time I saw him. It had all been a lie. Now I'm going to homecoming with Kyle and there was no way to avoid running into Lucas. I had absolutely no idea what I was going to do.