Chapter 11

2 WEEKS LATER

The next two weeks went by so slowly. Lucas and I weren't speaking. Kyle and I weren't speaking. Honestly, I didn't care if Kyle and I never spoke again. He had acted like a drunk idiot and really embarrassed me. Lucas was the only thing that really mattered to me. Every day I saw him dozens of times. Every time I did, I stopped and turned the other way. I wasn't ready to face him yet. The first few days every time I saw him I fought back tears. He had been parking right beside me every day for the past week; so as soon as the bell would ring I would run out to my car so that I wouldn't run into him. I knew that if he tried to talk to me I would most likely burst into tears.

I had been spending almost every day in Mrs. Bush's classroom. She knew about everything going on, so she let me hide out in her room. She normally just let me grade papers and work on homework.

"Ashlyn, did you grade my first period's grammar quizzes?" She asked.

"Ummmm...yes. Here they are." I said and I handed her the stack.

"Do I even want to look at them?" She asked.

"They did better than last time. Most of them passed. Maybe you should start grading on a curve." I laughed.

"That would make it too easy." She laughed too. "Are you ready for homecoming this weekend?"

"Yeah, Claire has had her dress picked out for over a month. She made me go last weekend and pick one out."

"So have you talked to Kyle or Lucas?"

"Sneaky." I said.

"What?" She tried to play innocent.

"Acting like you wanted those grammar quizzes just to start a conversation. I know all of your tricks." I giggled.

"And I know all of yours when it comes to avoiding something." She smiled.

"Touché."

"Come on. You know it helps to talk about it." Mrs. Bush said.

"Okay..." I began, "I haven't talked to either one of them. Kyle has reached out a few times, but I haven't responded. Lucas...I see him everywhere, but I always turn and go the other way when I see him."

"Mhm. I see. Do you want to talk to Kyle?" She asked.

"No. He acted like a jerk and an idiot, but I do feel like I owe him the closure."

"I see. Then I guess that's what you should do first."

"Then what?" I asked curiously.

"Well, what do you want to do?"

"I don't know..."

"Yes you do, Ashlyn.. I think you're too scared to admit it." She said.

"He hasn't even tried talking to me though. He must not care."

"Or maybe he's giving you the space that he thinks you need." she rebutted.

"If he cared I feel like he would have reached out." I said right as the bell rang. I started gathering my things.

"Oh, Ashlyn. I meant to tell you, we will be having homeroom tomorrow."

"Great." I rolled my eyes. "Why?"

"Sophomores and juniors have to take ACT prep quizzes. So we will be in homeroom until lunch."

"All morning?" I groaned.

"Yeah...but I will let you go to the yearbook room if you want." She winked and smiled.

"Thanks. You are a lifesaver. See you tomorrow."