twenty three. one year

October 1992

October 1992

Pacho placed another wrapped gift in front of Mateo, which he banged his hands on it until his mom stopped him. Eviana gasped and adjusted Mateo into her lap. The mother son duo were on the couch while his uncles and wives surrounded him with more gifts for the little boy. Mateo turned one and for Eviana, it was a big deal.

"Look, Mateo, what is it?" Eviana shook the box in front of Mateo's face. "Let's open it, wanna help?" She started to tear the wrapping paper apart. While she did that, Pacho had been informed by a sicario that someone was outside looking for Eviana. He didn't want to disrupt the beautiful moment that was in front of him so he sneaked off and followed the sicario to the front gate where a woman was standing beside more sicarios.

Back in the living room, Eviana finally got the present to open. Mateo found the wrapping paper more amusing, but once his eyes caught a glimpse of a toy dinosaur, he reached for it until Eviana gabr it to him.

"Look at him! He's already learning to be violent! Just like that, my little violent son!" Chepe shouted as Mateo continued to band the toy dinosaur against the floor.

"Chepe, don't encourage him!" His girlfriend hit his arm.

"I hope none of you have said horrible things in front of my innocent little boy." Eviana stroked Mateo's hair as she pointed her finger at the godfathers. They remained silent with guilty looks on their faces. Even Navegante. "I can't believe this-"

Helena had cleared her throat, catching the attention of everyone in the room. "Miss Herrera, your brother wants to see you, he says it's urgent." She gulped.

Eviana looked down at Mateo then at the guests. "I'm trusting you all to look after my boy. Please don't make me regret it." She placed Mateo in Chepe's girlfriend's lap, dusted herself off before placing a kiss to Mateo's cheek and walked with Helena to the front gates where Pacho was with his sicarios and an unknown woman.

"I'm here, just like you asked. What's so urgent?" Eviana asked as she went to go stand beside her brother. She looked at the woman and gasped. To others, the woman might've been a stranger walking down the street, but to Eviana, the woman was an old friend.

María Elvira stood in front of Eviana Herrera. She had a rebozo wrapped around her and had a nice dress on. She wore nice shoes and her fingernails were painted red. Even after Miguel Ángel had left, she still looked her best.

"María, how are you?" Eviana engulfed her old friend in a hug.

María hugged Eviana back. She couldn't remember when was the last time they had seen each other. "I'm great, but look at you. You're more beautiful as time passed." They broke their hug, María smiled at her friend. "I heard about your boy. It's still the talk of the town actually."

So much for laying low.

Eviana noticed that Pacho still looked confused. He knew María was Miguel's ex-wife, but what he didn't know was the friendship the past girlfriends had made.

"Well, I'll leave you two to talk it out." Pacho pointed between the two women.

As he left, the women let out a laugh.

María had asked several people where to locate the Herrera house and with a couple threatening stares, she found herself having wine with Eviana Herrera in the balcony of her home.

"So, how are your kids? It's been a really long time since I've seen them. I miss the little rascals." Eviana said, grabbing her wine glass and drinking a bit before putting it down on the table.

"They miss you. And they want to meet their brother too, but I told them that now isn't them time. It's getting more violent for you here, Evi." María frowned. "I don't want to be that person that tells you how to live your life, but you have to think about what kind of future you want Mateo to live in. It's not safe here."

Eviana looked down at her rings then slowly turned to look at María. "I can't leave Pacho alone, María. I just can't. Apart from Alvaro and Mateo, I'm the only blood family he has left. I can't do that to him. But I also don't want Mateo to live in fear and danger his whole life."

María nodded, understanding the situation her friend was in. She had been in the same spot years ago. Only thing was, she grabbed her kids and left.

"Does he know about Mateo?" María questioned.

"Miguel? Yeah. I haven't sent a photo, but he knows." She grabbed her wine glass and drank the last drop of it. "I still talk to him when I can. It's stupid, I know. He says he wants to meet our son and I told him that one day he will." She looked down at the empty wine glass. "I'm starting to think that it'll never happen."

🦋

December 1992

The holiday parties among the Colombian people were starting. Lights in shape of stars and in various colors shined through the streets. Children were outside playing, men and women were singing songs about their saviour, Jesus Christ. And of course a couple sicarios turned up dead, courtesy of Los Pepes.

Medellín was about to get a show they would never forget.

Steve sent a gift to Mateo a day after his first birthday. He gave it to Navegante, who gave it to Pacho and it landed in Eviana's lap. Steve gave Mateo a small gold bracelet with his name printed on it. Eviana called Steve to thank him for it, but of course they couldn't tak long since Steve had to leave for work.

While Los Pepes did their work quicker, the police had problems in their way. Los Pepes were very persuasive while the Colombian people refused to tell the police anything. It was slow-going, but they were getting somewhere, just not quick enough.

Jairo was found dead by a river for everyone to see. Steve was getting annoyed that somehow Los Pepes had beat them to it.

Eviana always calmed him down. She would talk to him over the phone and talk about her day with Mateo. Simple as that. Steve always loved hearing about what she decided to do with Mateo on a sunny day.

"If Los Pepes is always getting there before you do, I'd say theres someone playing both sides." Eviana talked with Steve on the phone as she picked out dead flowers from a vase. "Think about it, intel gets handed to you and somehow Los Pepes gets it too. It's not rocket science, Steve, you have a mole, is that what they call it?"

"Got the brains and beauty, I see."

"Duh, who else would get both? Not Alvaro."

An: another update because I'm so close to finishing season 2 and you know what that means NO MORE STEVE MURPHY

but that's in narcos and this is fan fiction 😌