Fate doesn't give up

Marinette dragged herself over the crossroads and made her way up the school steps. Her life that morning had come to a screeching halt. Kagami and Adrien were soulmates. Their marks matched, nothing could be done about it, that was the fate she was now stuck with and it broke her heart.

For over a year she'd tried to move on from him, trying to get the will power to date other people but she could never remove the love she had for Adrien Agreste. She'd even gone as far as considering more with her flirty partner Chat Noir, but memories of Chat Blanc still plagued her. Their love destroyed the world. She had no right to use her own selfish needs when the existence of the world was on their shoulders.

Tikki had spent the morning trying to reason with Marinette to not believe Adrien and Kagami were soulmates until it had been proven. Tikki knew it wasn't true, it just couldn't be. Adrien was Marinette's soulmate! Even though the Miraculous couldn't interfere with other magical entities, she knew the cat and bug miraculous' only worked if the wielders were in fact two parts of a whole. They were always made for each other.

She didn't know what Adrien was playing at, but Plagg was going to have an earful when she got to him. Hadn't Plagg warned Adrien about playing with people's hearts, about the possibility of hurting his true soulmate. That black cat better watch out. He knew how much Marinette loved Adrien, she didn't understand why he hadn't interfered.

Before stepping into the school grounds Marinette pulled out her phone, looking at Kagami's message one more time. She was trying to be happy for Kagami, she really was, the girl deserves happiness in her life. Like Adrien, she'd lived under such strains to be perfect. Perhaps this would give her the opportunity for some freedom, for some love? Marinette sighed. She wanted to feel happy for her friends but she just couldn't at the moment.

She scrolled to Luka's contact and began to type him a message.

What you up to after school today? Want to meet up? X

She locked her phone and placed it back in the bag with Tikki. She knew what she was doing was wrong, but Luka did make her feel better. Maybe it was time she finally gave him a chance, gave him an opportunity to heal her broken heart, even if it was just short lived.

With one last breath to calm the tears threatening to spill, she ran up the stairs and into the classroom.

"Marinette Dupain-Cheng?" Ms. Bustier was just doing the register and she'd made it for her roll call.

"Yes! Made it ... here." She slowly made her way up to her seat next to Alya.

Almost everyone was staring at her. They looked sad and disappointed. That was everyone apart from Adrien. Usually he'd give her a smile, some sort of welcoming recognition but today ... nothing. He actually looked awful, like the weight of the world was baring down on his shoulders. She screwed her eyebrows together wondering what could be wrong. Shouldn't he be happy?

Alya gave Marinette a nod as she sat down and began to take out her supplies before placing her bag under the table. As she sat back up straight she noticed a folded piece of paper on the top of her school tablet. She looked over at Alya, before taking the small square and opening it on her lap.

Don't believe everything you hear ... trust me on this! Alya knows all!

Marinette reread the letter, twice, three times and nothing made sense. Grabbing her pen off the table she began to scribble something underneath Alya's words.

About what?

Alya read it before quickly responding.

I can't say. Just hold your head high girl, and fate will play nicely.