Admit Sixteen

After Imani and I served the last customer, Eleanor helped us clean up, throwing all of the excess popcorn in the trash while I swept the floor.

Imani wiped the countertop and shot a glance at Eleanor. "So, was there really a murder here?"

I stopped sweeping and looked up.

Eleanor stiffened, and then turned to us. "Alright. I'll give you both a chance to ask me about it and then—I never want it spoken of again."

I tried to camouflage my morbid curiosity by keeping my facial expression steady. Imani fired the first question while appearing bored. I imagined she was putting on the same act. "Who was murdered here?"

Eleanor spoke so softly the both of us had to lean in to hear. "She was a high school girl who worked for me. Her name was Yolanda... Yolanda Baines."

Imani and I met eyes and turned away awkwardly. She focused on cleaning the soda fountain while I kept sweeping. "How long ago was the murder?" I asked.

"It happened on November fifteenth; sixteen years ago," Eleanor said.

November thirtieth was my birthday. The murder happened weeks before I was born.

"Who murdered her?" Imani asked. "An ex-boyfriend?"

Eleanor took in a deep breath. "It was a despicable, cowardly act. No one knows who did it, but it wasn't her boyfriend. He was broken hearted. He would have done anything to bring justice for her death. They were expecting a child—" Her voice broke, unable to say more.

It saddened and scared me to think of someone killing a pregnant teen somewhere in the building, and now I had a name—Yolanda. I wondered if her spirit wandered the building. "Where was she murdered?" I asked, my throat as dry as sand.

"If I say, you have to promise not to mention it to anyone. We just opened for business, and reminding people of a bombshell like this will drive customers away. Understand?"

Imani and I nodded as we crowded closer. "She died in theatre four."

"Which one is theatre four?" I asked without thinking.

Eleanor gave me a hard stare. "The one I was cleaning the day you scared the wit's out of me."

A feeling between guilt and fear filtered through me as I thought about being in the theatre where the teen had died. No wonder Eleanor had been terrified when I grabbed her shoulder. She probably thought she was being haunted by a ghost. "I'm so sorry about that by the way."

"Water under the bridge," she said, waving it off. "Well, girls, our first night has been a success. You're free to go. Have a good night."

Imani and I said goodnight simultaneously, and Eleanor cast a final glance over her shoulder as she exited from behind the counter and went back into the box office. We put on our coats and I found the shirt I had changed out of.

I texted Davianté while I watched from the window inside.

Me: heads up Imani works here.

Donna: oh joy.

Donna: I'm outside.

Imani walked out the double doors ahead of me and went to a puffing car. A lady, who was probably her mom, was behind the wheel. It was cold enough to see our breath, and the parking lot was only lit by the light of the Dollar Cinemas sign. Imani eyed me from the passenger's seat. She was probably on good behavior in front of her mom. I got into the Honda.

Davianté's cologne was stronger than usual, like he put it on before coming to pick me up. "You smell like popcorn," he said.

I chuckled.