Admit Thirteen

Whatever secret Courtney had was eating me up from the inside. My imagination ran wild.

In the meantime, I had other things I needed to start—namely, registering for the online English classes to graduate early, and the online permit class.

Lan took me to the grocery store the following afternoon, where I was able to buy a Visa gift card and load the cash I had gotten from the returned shoes onto it. I created a login for the online high school and driver's school, making a commitment to myself to spend my extra time studying between work and school.

The first night I was up until two in the morning. I expected the driver's class to teach me loads of things I didn't know about driving, but instead it droned on and on about distracted driving, and even though it was an important topic, it wasn't teaching me anything I didn't already know. I let the video play and answered questions now and again when they popped up.

Courtney checked on me a couple of times and asked what I was doing. I kept the laptop screen out of her view and paused the video when she popped in. She didn't suspect anything when I told her I was working on my regular homework. The only interruptions I took were when my friends texted me.

Peyton: Do you put your toilet paper over or under?

Me: Over. You?

Peyton: Under! How do you feel about cars driving people around without a driver?

Me: That would freak me tf out.

Peyton: Why?

Me: What if there was a malfunction? Those sensors that read how far away other cars are, or where a cliff is, can only be accurate if they're clean. Suppose mud splattered on it and the next thing you know you're hitting a tree, or a person on a bike.

Peyton: Good point but I sort of thought it would be safer. A computer can eliminate mistakes like not running a red light or driving drunk.

Me: I suppose

Peyton: Do you believe in soulmates?

I hadn't given much thought to it before. I'm sure a lot of people thought it was superstitious, but I had more of a tendency to believe that there was a special someone for everyone.

Me: Yes.

Peyton: Me too. Can I ask you something?

Me: Anything.

Peyton: How often do you think about me?

I curled my toes.

Me: Honestly, all the time.

I scrunched my nose as I hit send.

Peyton: Ever since I saw you in the office the other day, I haven't been able to get you out of my mind.

My heart exploded from his confession.

Peyton: What are you doing?

Me: Studying. You?

Peyton: Thinking about you
Peyton: over here
Peyton: with me

I smiled, picking up my phone and falling back onto my pillow.

Me: What are we doing?

Peyton: You mean like in my imagination?

Me: Yes. You said you're thinking of me. What are we doing on our virtual date?

Peyton: We're cuddled on my couch watching a movie.

A warm feeling blossomed in my chest.