Part 23

My cheeks are red. I do feel a little embarrassed because I have never sung before in front of so many people. I feel a hand on my back.
"That was beautiful." Chris murmurs so that I can only her him. I curl the one side of my lips up and look at him and flush.

"You were fantastic!" Riley beams and he picks me up – in front of everyone in the school hall.

"Too tight." I gasp for air.

"Oh! Sorry Gaby." Riley places me down.

"You were really good." Lucas says.

"Really, really good." Alex agrees.

They both look at each other and start laughing.

"Sorry dude. I just agree with you." Alex apologizes.

"All good man." Lucas smacks his shoulder and they both walk off the stage to chat to the school students.

I look around at everyone who is clapping. From the teachers who are giving me the thumbs up – indicating I sang well – to the mean girls applauding. It is all too much for me. My heart is pounding and my head feels like it is spinning. I know I am going to pass out if I don't get out of this hall.

I smile and turn around. I basically run outside, but not before hearing Mr. Bakes came on stage to tell everyone about the next performance.

I stumble upon the dance group who is going to be on stage.

"Sorry...sorry..." I say repeatedly as I walk amongst the dancers.

I run onto the school field – which is thankfully empty. I need air.

I enjoyed singing, but it got too much for me when everyone applauded. If this is what Chris and his band has to endure after every performance, I don't know how they don't just leave the building.

"Hey Gaby."

I jump and turn around. It's Chris. I place my hand over my heart. My heart is going into overdrive.

"Are you alright?" Chris creases his brow. He's worried.

"I'm okay. I just needed air. That's all." I smile faintly. I suddenly feel lightheaded.

"Are you sure? You look pale." Chris strokes my cheek.

I inhale sharply. "I'm...I'm o-okay." I feel my temperature rise.

No! I am going to faint!

I close my eyes and fall back.

"GABY!" Chris screams and grabs me just before I hit the ground.

"Chris..." My voice is barely audible.

"I got you my girl." I hear Chris say, and I close my eyes.