Chapter XIV: Threat of the Dead

June 7th 20XX, some random forest in Falmart

Iqbal found himself once again in an uncomfortable situation, as he once again resting alongside his 11th Battalion in some forest.

To one of his side, his comrade from the same battalion, and on the other his best friend, Supriyadi. They are assigned to a small kingdom Island to the southeast of Synkara, and northeast of the Imperial Colonies. This assignment is a part of Operation Diponegoro, specifically speaking Phase II. His battalion assignment is to take the kingdom on this island. This is the final kingdom which they should take over, and this time the 11th is only supported by Air Support.

They have been staying in the forest for about a day or two, but no contact has been made. This brought the mental of the 11th Battalion to deteriorate, as well paranoia began to grow amongst the battalion. Not to each other, but their enemies.

It has been a few days since they landed here, but no sign of their enemy. Their recon unit got nothing from their recon mission, this was very odd indeed. There was a village nearby, but no one lived there. The village was dead and abandoned as if no one lived there in the beginning, it was but a lifeless village.

There are signs of forced intrusion in the doors of the houses there, broken furniture, and such. It seems the villagers here were forced out of their homes, but it was odd. No damages besides broken door latches and broken furniture, their belongings remained where it was for a long time. There are signs of resistance such as arrows that was shotted out of a bow, swords, and spears that laying on the ground. But no bodies have been discovered.

One night, they heard a scream. They searched for the source, but they found nothing. The screams were going on for quite some nights until they found a pile of blood near where the 11th are encamped. No trail leading where it goes, as if the blood was coming out from the ground.

The situation there is dark and haunting. They kept finding weird things there, but no explanation was found. Even at one time, they found a pool of black goo. It smells horrific and sickening, the smell just compels you to vomit. The goo was pitch black, but it was not inflammable as they have tried to set it on fire.

Now, the scream was heard once again. It was so loud, Iqbal couldn't sleep. So loud, those who slept just woke up. They looked exhausted and tired, the screams are testing their will and determination.

"For fuck's sake! This is the 5th time this week, this screaming is getting me on my nerves!" Said Supriyadi complaint.

"I know, it starts to get annoying than scary. Get some shut eyes, we need to wake up early. We're assigned to survey the recently found city." Said Iqbal replying.

"I know, but it's kinda difficult to sleep with that going on. I just hoped we caught who did it, I swear I'm going to beat that person regardless of the age or gender." Said Supriyadi with anger.

"I'm sure you would." Said the sleepy and tired Iqbal.

Morning arrives, but the men are not in a good shape. They were sleepy, it has been a few days they have trouble sleeping. And the cause of that is the annoying screams at night. Iqbal and his comrades in the 1st Company head out to do their assignment there, all tired but still willing to go.

They walked towards the said city, to survey the existence of their enemies. According to the last known report, the city was 3 kilometers away from them.

After marching and fighting the urge to sleep, they arrived at their destination. Although, their arrival in the city gave more weirdness and the mystery of this island.

The city was completely desolated. The portcullis of the entrance gatehouse is open wide, with absolutely no one to guard it. The 1st Company advanced slowly but surely to the city, with caution and fear is the only thing they could feel.