𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏

The military of South Korea sent out thousands of letters regularly, informing boys ages eighteen through twenty-eight, of their enlistment date, and today, around 1,400 black-haired boys gathered in the hot sun, joined by their families, prepared to part ways for two years. 

Intimidating military officers stood and collected the boys at the gate into the arena, welcoming them to the military, and sent their family into a separate area to celebrate their enlistment.

San had received his letter a few weeks back and now stood with his mom and dad close to the entrance, buying time, nervous about parting ways. Although, it wouldn't be too bad since he'd at least be meeting a familiar face inside.

His brother, a respected and highly ranked soldier, would be in there waiting for him, so while San completed his military service he had the responsibility to uphold his family's reputation, which is where most of the nerves came from.

"Don't mess around and get yourself in trouble with all of the cute boys here." His mom looked around and admired the fit and clean-cut men that walked into the arena.

San had come out to his family in middle school and his parents were open about it—talked about it normally, along with the rest of his family. If anything, his mom enjoyed the fact that they could bond over cute boys.

"I'm sure Kai would like that," San quipped back, knowing his brother would push him hard to do his best and he wouldn't even have the chance to check anyone out, let alone cause trouble. He figured he'd be too exhausted to even give any thought to boys.

Wooyoung, another enlistment looking to complete his military service, came alone and made his way through the doting parents, trying not to gag at them babying their adult sons. Seeing them, he was glad he had insisted on his grandma staying home, her being his only family. There's no way in hell he'd ever want to be a part of the sappy scene in front of him, besides that, he simply preferred to be alone.

During his military service, he planned on keeping to himself, not interested in making friends, or whatever his grandma blabbed on about at home. He just wanted to be left alone. Being alone makes life less difficult. No unnecessary attachments that lead to future pain.

Pushing the rest of his way through, he ran into some parents and hit shoulders with another boy before reaching the entrance and disappearing inside.

San and his family happened to be one of the few that Wooyoung pushed through on his way to the entrance. He turned to get a look at the mannerless guy and only saw the back of him and the huge tattoo that covered one muscular arm. His mom must've gotten a better look, commenting about the boy to her son.

"Yes, him, I approve." She raised her eyebrows to make her point. "He's probably the best-looking one I've seen."

His dad didn't agree, commenting, "You don't need that kind of company. Bad boys are overrated. Not to mention, boys should be the last thing he focuses on here."

San ignored his mom's words and agreed with his dad. He figured that guy was better off on his own, knowing better than to get involved with a troublemaker in this kind of place.

San and his parents joked some more and got their last words in before deciding it was time for his send-off.

At the entrance, a man in uniform greeted them and made San shake hands with his parents and promise them he would work hard and make them proud. The man then sent them in different directions without another word.

San followed a few other boys to where the rest were standing in the middle of the arena on the grassy field and looked out at the sea of people on the bleachers before they were ordered to stand in a line to say the pledge of allegiance. As San said the pledge, his mind filled with worries about how he'd be living for the next two years. He searched the crowd for his family but couldn't find them and the homesickness began to set in.