𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟖

They ended up at the training center within the next two or so hours, all of them looking out of it and much less enthusiastic than when they started. There was an hour allotted for lunch, and San found his friends as quickly as he could so they could eat before being subjected to the next phase of the afternoon.

"San, right?" San lifted his head high to meet the face of the trainee they were talking about earlier. "I'm Mingi, is it okay if I sit here?" He gestured to the spot between Yunho and Jongho, and they both nodded, San, having no reason to deny him, nodding as well. "Yeah go ahead."

Mingi sat, nervous energy transferring to his leg which bounced up and down while he began to eat.

"What's it like being a general's kid?" Seonghwa blurted out and San, sitting next to him, gave him a side slap on the cheek, mouthing, Hwa, but, in a way, it broke the awkwardness since Mingi knew they'd all been secretly talking about it. He preferred directness and maybe he got that from his dad.

"Not as exciting as some might think." Mingi tossed a grape up from his tray and caught it in his mouth before grinning at them, a gleam in his eye. "But the upside is I know this stuff forwards and backwards. Grenade throwing, piece of cake when you've been doing it since the age of four."

"You liar." San laughed a little at the guy's ridiculous tales.

"That would be completely savage though, am I right?" Mingi laughed and the whole table joined in, fascinated by his antics. Mingi never failed in making friends.

"However, it's no joke that I seriously am good at this stuff."

The guys kind of looked around skeptically at each other, not too sold from what they'd seen previously out of him.

"Alright, watch and see." He shrugged cockily, stuffing his face with more food while San raised an eyebrow in doubt.

Some giggled at his words, wondering if he was going to pull some kind of stunt. If anyone could get away with it, it'd be the general's son, and, with his happy-go-lucky spirit, he was hard to keep up with, but at the same time, quite a fun adventure.

San found himself standing next to Yunho while they listened to directions, not able to talk much, as they had to quickly gear up and begin preparing themselves for the intensive training session. The soldiers at the center came out and began to group the lot of them, assigning one trainer to instruct around twenty of them.

They all strapped into a helmet, safety glasses, and gloves, making sure to put in earplugs to spare them from the deafening sound of explosives. They were expressly told to stay silent, fix their eyes forward, and not let anything distract them.

The whole experience was already turning into something anticlimactic for Wooyoung who was hoping for it to be a thrilling and risky situation, but the safety talk rivaled that of instructions before a game of laser tag.

The soldier teaching Wooyoung's group held a rubber grenade that had all the functioning parts without the threat of explosion and had the rest of them walk over to grab one to practice with.

"210 where is your rifle?" A stern voice interrupted, and everyone looked around to see Yeosang who had set his gun down hastily after adjusting his protective body armor.

"Right here, sir!" He saluted, voice squeaking out nervously, adjusting it back over his body in a flash.

"You do not take it off under any circumstances, do I make myself clear?" A chorus of 'yes sir' followed. "Your rifle is to be on you and in your sight at all times! Because it is?!" Taehyung barked out, prompting the correct answer from them.