Sweet Escape 5

Sweet Escape 5

"Ahh!" Addison Montgomery panics momentarily as the room goes pitch black.

"Shh, it's okay, it's okay," Meredith offers, as she realizes that all the lights have gone out.

Addison is a little bit afraid of the dark though, so she reaches her hand out reflexively to grab onto Meredith's.

"Can't we turn the lights on!? I can't see anything!" says the redhead.

"The power must be out, I'll go check on it," says Meredith.

"Wait, no. Don't go!" says Addison, clinging to her.

"Hey, I'm not going far, unless you want to come with me?" offers Meredith.

"Yes please," says Addison, loosening her iron grip on the blonde, once she knows that she's not going to be left completely alone in this familiar environment.

"Alright, follow me, then," says Meredith, smiling softly to herself as she leads the other doctor down the hallway to find a flashlight.

Addison keeps holding onto her hand, and Meredith can't help but be a tad bit delighted at that.

"Alright, I think we just need to find the electrical box..." says Meredith, as she rummages around with her free hand to find a light source.

"Is it far?" asks Addison, still a bit spooked.

"It's in the house," Meredith laughs, as she places her free hand over Addison's hand to reassure her.

"Addison," Meredith says, pulling the redhead closer for a hug. "It's going to be okay," she says, still holding onto her hand, and nuzzling her chin on Addison's shoulder.

"Thanks, Meredith," says Addison. "The dark... Just makes me a bit nervous, that's all," Addison responds.

"We'll tackle it together," Meredith promises.

Somehow it seems more than just a promise to find the electrical box together.

"Would it be downstairs?" Addison wonders aloud.

"Yeah," says Meredith. "We better go down them one at a time," she offers, holding Addison's hand with one hand while she holds the railing with the other.

"One, two, three," Meredith counts aloud so they can walk together, their eyes slowly adjusting to the dark.

In all this confusion, Meredith has all but forgotten her stepmother and father are here, along with Alex and Izzie, but thankfully the bunch of them are still conversing over candlelight at the table, and have barely noticed the difference.

"Come on, I think it's in the basement," Meredith leads, as she helps Addison along.

It warms Meredith's heart in squishy places that Addison doesn't want to let go of her quite yet, and she figures it's the least she can do for the redhead, seeing as she's been comforting her all along.

"Alright, ready for another set of stairs?" Meredith asks Addison, and Addison nods at her.

They venture into the basement until Meredith locates her flashlight, and then she finally switches it on, and they both blink at the sudden whiteness.

"Ow, bright," Addison winces, and Meredith points it far away so their eyes can adjust.

"Sorry," Meredith apologizes quickly while she finds the fuse box, and opens it with a key.

There are all sorts of switches, and it takes a moment for Meredith to even consider what to do here.

"Gosh, it's like an O.R," says Meredith. "I feel like I'm operating," she laughs.

"Or it's pandora's box; you never know what you're going to get," suggests Addison.

They giggle, and it feels good, just the two of them alone in the storage room.

"Are you ready?" Meredith takes a deep breath.

"Ready," says Addison, taking in a deep breath as well.

It's anticlimactic though because it takes a few tries before they find the correct switch to flip.

"Got it!" says Meredith, as she finally finds it.

"Hooray!" Addison cheers, raising their hands in the air.

"Whew, that sure was a maze," says Meredith, pleased at her accomplishment.

"Congratulations," says Addison, unable to resist the urge to pick Meredith up in her arms and spin her around in the air before placing her back on her feet again.

"Hey, thanks for the moral support... Not just for this... But for all of it..." Meredith says to Addison, as she catches her breath from spinning so much.

"You're welcome, and thank you, Meredith," says Addison, as she hugs Meredith again, noticing just how well Meredith's head fits into the crook of her neck.

"You know, I think I'm finally hungry," Meredith laughs, as she has newfound courage to converse with her family members.

"Mm, I agree, I'm starving," Addison laughs, as they make their way back to the kitchen.

The lights are on, and they don't have to keep holding hands at this point. But they do because they want to. And they don't want to admit that they're not quite ready to let go, even now.

***** END OF CHAPTER 5