Sweet Escape 2

Author's note:

Ah, perhaps one of the most hotly-anticipated second chapters of anything I've written as of late- thanks so much for the lovely reviews, and welcome to the wonderful and wild mess that this is :).

bobbiejelly

Sweet Escape 2

It's seven-forty-three and Meredith Grey is kinda freaking out here.

Honestly.

Izzie's in the kitchen furiously chopping up the last remaining garnishes for the chicken while Meredith paces around the kitchen aimlessly, running through all of the worst-case scenarios that could possibly go wrong tonight.

And all the best-case scenarios? Of things that could possibly go right?

"Izzie...?" Meredith begins nervously.

"Yeah, Mer?" Izzie says between her sprigs of parsley.

"Have you ever..." Meredith starts as she bites her lip nervously. "Have you ever... Felt anything... For women?" she begins generally, and then almost regrets saying anything when she looks up at Izzie's amused expression.

"Whoa, Mer, I'm surprised I'm not asking YOU that," Izzie teases.

"Hey!" says Meredith.

"Well, I mean, no offense Mer, but remember that time that you and Derek broke up the first time? You had 'guests,' home every night for a month. Well, I just figured that some of those people had to have been women because I'd be surprised if there were that many half-decent guys roaming around Joe's at that time of night in Seattle," Izzie shrugs.

"Wait, is this just a you-hypothesis? Or is this something that you, George, Cristina, and Alex are all in on?!" Meredith frets.

"Well..." This time Izzie smiles nervously, apologetically really, and this time Meredith gets a little bit tenser.

She wants to know her answer though, actually, they both do.

But they don't get that chance because the doorbell rings, and Meredith sprints to get it faster than she ever answers pages at the hospital from Miranda Bailey.

"Oh, hi, come in..." Meredith says half-heartedly to her step-mother and her estranged father and looks around behind them desperately to see if she can see any signs of Addison.

Why isn't she here yet!?

"Hello, Meredith," Thatcher Grey says, and Meredith wonders if he's stumbling slightly, but she doesn't openly question it, and she moves to hang up his coat in the closet before taking Susan Grey's.

"Well ah, come in," Meredith adds, as she leads them to the pre-set table that Izzie had spent the afternoon working on, noting the lit candles and matching silverware that Meredith didn't even know she still had until when Izzie dug them out of the cupboard.

It flashes through Meredith's mind unexpectedly that if she were (hypothetically, of course), to have someone over for a date, that this would be the perfect place-setting for it, and she realizes she can't wait to see if Addison appreciates them.

She thinks that Derek wouldn't fully, or at least, he might not compliment them. Or do so dutifully only when prompted.

Whether or not his ex-leggy-and-fabulous counterpart will do the same or not is yet to be determined...

But not yet anyhow, as she hasn't arrived by seven-forty-seven, and Meredith is getting more and more anxious.

For her actually invited guest, this evening.