Sweet Escape 8

Sweet Escape 8

It's a little bit bigger than her own house.

That's the first thing that comes to mind when Meredith knocks on Susan Grey and Thatcher grey's house along with Addison Montgomery who is holding a small bouquet of flowers in her hands.

(For the baby, not for her. Not that she cares though.)

Meredith goes to knock on the door, but Addison beats her to the doorbell, and Meredith giggles because she just would have pounded on the wood because it's cathartic.

"Oh hello, Meredith, Dr. Montgomery-" Thatcher stumbles a little, and both of them consciously ignore it.

"You can call me Addison," Addison smiles.

"Oh, yes of course, Addison. Good to see you. Again. And Meredith. It's good to see you both-" Thatcher fumbles.

"Hello both of you, come in, I've just put on some tea for you and there'll be biscuits later. Molly Grey is just out at the supermarket I don't know if she'll be back later to see you but anyway we'll show you the house," Susan Grey welcomes them.

Meredith feels a little overwhelmed by seeing her father like this in such a domestic setting, and by seeing Susan Grey act like one of those magazine moms who bakes and stuff because all Ellis Grey did was work, so she walks in tentatively and follows Addison and takes deep breaths in slowly.

"She's settling in well," Addison smiles as she picks up the baby from her crib. Laura Grey-Thompson coos as if she recognizes Addison, and latches onto her finger with her tiny little hands.

"She is," Susan Grey smiles as Thatcher wanders off again.

The tea kettle boils, and Susan Grey goes off to tend to it, leaving Addison and Meredith alone for a minute with the baby.

"I'm so glad she's recovering well," says Meredith with a tinge of guilt.

"Yep, stellar progress. And she's growing," says Addison, as she runs her hands over the baby's head. "Here, do you want to hold her?" Addison offers, realizing she's been hogging all of the baby's attention.

"Oh, I don't know..." Meredith fumbles.

"She'll like you, here hey this is Meredith. She's your friend," says Addison as she places the baby in Meredith's arms.

Meredith appreciates being called the baby's friend, because she's not sure how to define this familial pattern otherwise.

The baby gurgles and opens its eyes for a minute before settling down again.

"Mm, I love babies. I've always wanted one, or maybe two," Addison says wistfully.

Damnit.

"I'm sorry, I'm so so sorry-" Meredith fumbles to apologize again, because she realizes she might have stolen Addison's chances of having her baby McDreamy's.

"Oh it's alright, that ship sailed long ago," says Addison. "Long before you. And once I almost had Mark's baby, but I couldn't go through with it," says Addison sadly.

"I didn't know," says Meredith softly.

"Neither did he, until later," says Addison. "But we both made mistakes with that too. Mark and I weren't ready to be together," says Addison. "And I don't think we will be. He's my best friend, but we weren't a great couple," Addison smiles sadly.

Meredith sees Addison's eyes begin to glisten, and she sniffles a little and tries to cover it up.

"Sorry it didn't work out for you," says Meredith.