23

He has been standing here for a while now, his hand rubbing against the other, trying to warm himself up. He raised his eyes to the grey sky. The sorrow he felt seemed to be reciprocal, as he blinked slowly and watched the sad sky tearing up. He wiped away the few drops that landed on his face, and sighed slowly.

It was the third day. He had received the order last night. It was time to go down and to explore the dungeon. He didn’t know if he wanted to do this anymore. Regrets were coming back to him and he had to deal with them since he couldn’t go back. At first, he thought he wanted to, but now he no longer knew. He looked around. He was so nervous he could barely think about something else. He had to be careful. Extremely careful. If a mistake was to be made, they would all be endangered. A betrayed pig leaves no witness behind.

He should’ve asked him.

Skeppy was nervously playing with his fingers, waiting for his teammates arrive. He finally saw someone coming toward him, and recognized immediately Bad’s way of walking, but he was alone. Skeppy frowned slightly and glanced around but the Knights were nowhere to be seen. The snow has started to fall all over again. Now, the soft flakes were slowly landing on the Mages’ shoulders and wetting their faces. It was getting progressively colder day after day. Behind his fogged glasses, Bad smiled.

“They’re not coming?” Skeppy asked, surprised.

“They’re hunting,” Bad replied. “We’ll see them later.”

“Alright. So it’s only the two of us?”

Sort of relieving.

“Yep,” Bad paused, and he looked at Skeppy in the eyes with a disappointed feeling.

“So you ready to go down?” Skeppy said.

“Yeah. Let’s explore this thing.”

Skeppy took a deep breath. It was going to be fine. Facing the ravine, Skeppy moved his hand graciously in a circle. His veins started to glow blue under his hand’s skin, and the movement gathered drops of water in the air to form a big bubble of water in front of them. Skeppy’s fingers were trembling a bit due to the cold. Even if it was bothering in a way, on the other hand, it was easier for Skeppy to manipulate magic water with such a humid weather, so he didn’t need a magic staff anymore.

Bad watched him doing so without saying a word.

They jumped and landed in the water. The magic retired and the drops of water vanished in the air, vaporizing. Getting up, Skeppy touched the walls of the dungeon carefully. They were a bit humid on the outside since they were exposed to the weather, but he was pretty sure they would be entirely dried inside the dungeon. Without any humidity in the air, it will be harder for him to use his magic. He hadn’t explored much further than one or two corridors, so they better stay together. He sighed silently, a bit worried. If something were to happen, Bad would be more useful with his fire tricks and his offensive skills.

Maybe they could run together right now.

Skeppy shook his head to chase these thoughts away. He was doomed and it was his fault. Now, all he had to do was to hope everything would go alright. He tried to remember what they told him and which direction to go. If only they were clearer in their explanations. Think clear. It’ll be fine. Nobody will die. Skeppy started to walk in the corridor, looking what was ahead of him, going along the walls with his hand on it. After a few steps, he noticed his friend wasn’t following him. He turned his head to him, surprised.

Bad was observing him in silence.

He was standing still where they landed. He hasn’t moved a bit, but he was looking at him with a neutral expression, almost dead inside. At that sight, Skeppy’s heart skipped a beat and he gasped with fear. Did he realize it? He made eye contact with Bad, feeling the dread cutting short his breath, until he realized Bad was completely lost in his thoughts.