9

He was lying on his lap. Thomas grinned at George and stroked his hair softly. It was very calming. The soft breeze was blowing on the two boys. Their skin was warmed by the light of the late afternoon sun. Little George opened his eyes and looked at Thomas. Even though he was smiling, George could tell he was not genuine. His brother's fingers were shaking so much it was easy to tell how troubled he was. They stared at each other and smiled.

"Hello, sleepyhead", Thomas whispered.

"Hi..."

Thomas was playing with his brother's hair. The teenager's eyes were red and swollen. Everything was calm and silent. They could only hear the wind whistling in the background, and the sound of the grass being pushed by it. Far away from them, some bugs were flying around with their faint buzz we could barely hear in the distance. The little boy clung onto his older brother's shirt. "Is... Daddy coming back?" George asked with a tiny voice.

There was a little silence.

"No... You said goodbye to him, remember?" Thomas paused. And sighed gently. "But Daddy is still here", he said, and he closed his eyes. "He's up in the skies now. He's looking after us", he insisted. It seemed like he was reciting sentences he had learned.

George searched for Thomas' hand. He held it tightly.

"Did Mummy ask you to tell me that?" Little George asked. His chin was shaking, as he was going to cry again. His cheeks were still wet and warm.

Thomas seemed to panic a little. His smile fainted for a second until he forcefully laughed. "What? No... I... George... No, Mummy did not ask me that."

In the sunset's light, George and Thomas' dark hair were light brown. George's still wet eyes were looking intensely at the sun going down the hills and the perfectly painted yellow sky.

"Can we go back to the Castle, now?" Thomas cautiously asked after a while.

"I want to stay a little more. Pwease?"

The older boy looked at him, and couldn't help but chuckle. "Alright. I'm here for you. If you fall asleep, I'll carry you."

----

It was warm.

His ears were ringing painfully. He could barely move his fingers. His head was against something warm, and soft, and comfortable. It was a sort of a familiar feeling. He felt so safe, yet he felt so dizzy. He opened his eyes slowly, but it was hard to see. He didn't have his goggles on anymore. Even when blinking, he could hardly see anything but light.

When his senses came back to him slowly, he realized he was lying on someone's lap. When his eyes adjusted, the first thing he saw was his partner's mask, that white mask, with that stupid drawn smile, leaning towards him. He would have probably groaned and pushed the Assassin away if he could, but he had no strength. He tried to look around to see if Bad was here, but he couldn't move.

He flinched when he felt a hand stroking his hair with a lot of care.