10

"You have something against me?"

He pushed the Mage against the wall, cornering him with his arms. The man raised his head to look at the man threatening him, way taller than he was.

"Maybe you have things you want to tell me?"

"Do you?" George defied him.

They stared at each other with fury. Dream couldn't help but notice George's beautiful veins glowing in green under his skin. He grabbed Dream's arm, but he was too weak to withdraw him.

"You hate me?" Dream asked again.

"Why do you only ask questions you know the answer to?"

"I only ask more because you don't respond. You never respond anyway."

"Maybe I would respond if you were a bit more respectful."

"I am."

"No, you are not."

"What are you saying? I am! I admit I was a bit arrogant when we met. But by now I think I've proven my worth."

"Oh yeah, sure. Like the times where you ran on your own. And you didn't care about me. And you did it how many times, already? Ah! Thrice, maybe!" George said and he chuckled sarcastically.

"What? Are we, like, married or something?! Next time, do you need me to tell you, oh Georgie, I'm going to shit, follow me around?!"

"That, is disgusting."

"You, are disgusting. You're judging me when you don't even know me."

"Wha-!" George frowned and he grabbed Dream's collar and pushed him fiercely. The Assassin flinched, seemingly surprised. "YOU! Are the one who did that!!"

"Who did what?"

"WHO JUDGED ME! You called me George the First!! Like you knew about me!! Don't act like you forgot!!"

George was so enraged he managed to make Dream step back. His mask was hiding his expression, but it was easy to tell the tension was high between the two. George was screaming now. Angrily. He would not even let Dream talk. His fingers were clinging tightly on Dream's collar, but they were shaking furiously.

"You were just relying on these stupid rumors, right? Which one was it this time?! Oh, George is a lost prince?! Oh, George is a noble and he cheated to enter the Army?! TELL ME!" He shouted, his voice breaking from the frustration.

Dream backed up, agape. He seemed to look away, uneasy, searching for words. Then he bowed his head in silence.

"You think I have something against you?! I have! I feel hatred! I feel unsafe! I feel no complicity! I feel like a fool! This mission is getting nowhere! You're the worst partner!! You know where you can stick your fucking trustworthy?!" George groaned, and he started to punch the tall man's chest with his weak fists.

"George. Listen, I'm sorry", Dream called, interrupting him.

"No, I am not listening. You piss me off."

"George!"

"I am NOT listening to your stupid apologies!"

"No, George. Listen! I am truly sorry", Dream said slowly. He meant it, but he was so angry his voice didn't cooperate with the apology. He sounded mad.

"Oh again, you're sorry? You can take back your sorry's! I don't care!"

"MMH! MOTHERFUCKER! Can you, AT LEAST, listen to me?!"

"You're so stupid! I don't want to listen to you!"

"Really!!"

George suddenly felt his hands getting grabbed, and couldn't get away. He looked at the man in shock, not able to move anymore. Dream has raised his head and was staring right at him. George almost closed his eyes spontaneously, expecting Dream to hit him in the face, but he only tightened his grip on George. But when he squeezed the hands, it was very softly. Too softly.

"I said I was sorry", he repeated on a very calm, but strict tone of voice. "I'm sincere. When we first met, I was teasing you. Now that I think back, I understand you've been offended. And I didn't mean that at all."

"...And for the times you ran?"

"Come on, now. That's nonsense. You literally refused to talk to me, George."

The Mage flushed despite him. He knew it was true in a way.

"And I want us to cooperate, now. We can't keep doing this. This is our job. We have to work together. And to stop blaming each other for every single thing that happened", Dream continued. "Let's be partners, alright? Good buddies?"

"You just want me to forget about how unrespectable you've been", George mumbled.

"What? No, I'm not trying to... Oh, my god. George! Do you want this to work out or not?"

He had released George's hands.

"Can you please respond?" Dream groaned desperately after a long silence where George only looked away in denial.

"...Yes", George ended up saying after a moment of hesitation. He looked away and he sighed. "I mean, yes, I want this mission to work out. I, I dunno why I'm here. And why I am doing this." He paused, and he looked at Dream with anger. "And it sucks to be stuck with you. But I want it to work out."

Dream sighed. "Me too."

A silence, where they glanced at each other, still somehow distrustful towards the other, expecting the other to say something. George talked first, hesitantly.

"Okay, so, I no longer want to hear any mention about my past. Promise me! Now!"

"Alright, I promise."

"And I want you to promise to tell me when you do something. We are a team. We think together, we work together. Promise?"

"Only if you promise me to reply back when I talk to you."

"What? I... Fine, I promise", the Mage groaned. "Now your turn."

"I promise too."

"...Okay."

They nodded in agreement. They didn't add anything else. George rubbed the back of his head, and sighed softy. He wouldn't say, but Dream noticed how relieved George looked after they promised. And he actually was as well. Like a massive weight had been lifted from their shoulders. When they glanced at each other, they both knew.

That was definitely a promising thing for the future, but also a huge step in their relationship.