21

George wiped the sweat running off his face. He looked at his hands and palpated them gently to see if it was still painful. The cuts on them were slowly healing. He had to renew the bandages soon.

He tried to recall how much time had passed since Technoblade had cornered them, but eventually he let that thought slip. He let himself fall backwards and sat, his back against the cold wall, and sighed.

It was not even important anymore. He had no idea how they would even get back to Technoblade after he had shown how powerful he was. He had a whole Army of Monsters obeying him and one of the most powerful Mages as his right arm. What were they going to do? How could they even stop them? It was time to face reality. Maybe Technoblade was right. Maybe he was strong enough to build a Kingdom of his own with his bare hands.

George had the habit of crossing his arms around his knees when he was sitting, but right now he couldn’t, as the burns on his arms were still aching and itching. George looked down and sighed again. Just to think about what had happened to them, he was terrified. He wasn’t the type to be scared easily, but it had been insane. Fireballs coming from everywhere, monsters chasing after you, arrows flying through the air to pierce your limbs in pain and war cries being screeched in your back as you know they are on your trails.

George knew how close he had been to death. When you get to live near death experience, you realize that everything you were worried about before that moment was completely useless and futile. The rumors about him, the Army's arrogance, his customers' remarks, his little fights with Dream, none of them mattered anymore. Only surviving mattered. And thankfully, both of them had survived.

Even though they were out of the Nether, they were still close to the lava mountains, making the whole atmosphere still really heavy. Even in this cave, where it was supposed to be chilly, a gentle warm wind was coming from the surface.

He glanced at his friend. Dream hadn’t woken up since last night, where he had a delirium and started to cry like a child. Even though he seemed calmer right now, George still wondered if he was fine. They had some potions of healing gifted by the Water Mage from when they were at the Invaded Lands, but in order to save them, George had only used one on Dream and one on himself. The most dangerous wounds had started to heal, saving Dream, at the verge of death, touched at some vital organs.

Magic is a miracle Humans tend to not thank enough. Dream and George were still alive thanks to it.

George turned his head when he heard Dream groaning painfully in his sleep, and kneeled down, getting closer to him. Listening carefully, he could tell his breath was normal. Under the mask he was still wearing, George couldn’t tell what kind of expression the man was making. When George went out of the Nether with a fainted Dream and he started to take care of him and his wounds, he had thought about taking off his friend’s mask. It would be easier if he had to take care of him, after all. But after thinking about it thoroughly, the Assassin was probably wearing this mask for a good reason. Hiding his identity, for example. It would be quite logical.

Then, George made the respectful decision to let the mask on the man’s face. He had untightened the knot of the mask a little so it wouldn’t hurt him, but he let him wear it, even bedridden. Truth was, George somehow wanted to see what his friend looked like, but he told himself he couldn’t invade his privacy.

The Mage held his hand to see if he was cold, but Dream’s hand was warm.

Last night, when Dream had woken up and started screaming all of a sudden, George had been so startled he tried to think quickly about what he could do to calm him down. At first, he thought Dream could be suffering from a fever and checked it, but even if it was the case, it was nighttime; he did not have much on him to cool him down, he couldn’t let Dream by himself in the cave and it would have been too dangerous for George to go out just to get a bunch of water at that hour. He wouldn’t even know in which recipient he would have poured the water in to bring it back.