Chapter 7

"And then there is the thorn in my side, the one and only Derek Morgan. I'm kidding. He's like a brother to me. He's the guy that convinced me to approach you. He's got a huge physique. He's kind. But also very flirty. Especially with the tech analyst, Penelope Garcia. At this minute, she's probably trying to figure out who you are. I didn't tell her your name, because I didn't want to give you a stalker. She's very protective and nosey. She's very... extravagant. But very intelligent and kind. You'll know what I mean when you meet her."

"They sound like awesome mates. Anyone else?"

Emily nodded. "Spencer Reid. Our neighborhood genius. He has an eidetic memory. He's too smart for his own good. But he's a fantastic agent. He doesn't always understand social cues, but he's sweet. And he solves almost half of the cases for us. We wouldn't get anywhere without him."

"He sounds lovely," Remi told her honestly. She paused before adding, "So, JJ. The girl who you liked before me. What's she like?"

Emily blushed, wishing that she never told her about that. "She puts a lot of weight of the cases on her shoulders. She keeps herself hidden. She has almost as many walls as I do. She has the brains to become a profiler, but she doesn't want to. I don't think she wants to fully get into the monster's heads. Which is understandable."

Remi stared at her. "Am I going to be jealous when I meet her?"

"I'm getting over her," Emily told her slowly. "She has a boyfriend. They're serious. We were never anything, Remi. It was a stupid crush. So, to sum it up, no. I hope you won't be."

Remi nodded. "Okay, good. They sound like fantastic people."

"They are good people. They are the closest thing I have to family. Since my blood relatives are all prestigious assholes. What about your family?"

They talked all night. About random things and important things. It was Emily's first date that she didn't actually hate. Especially since she went back to Remi's place. And surprising herself, the sex wasn't even the best part. While the sex was humbling and passionate, the really extraordinary thing came after the sex. Remi just held her. And when Emily woke from a nightmare that night, Remi didn't judge her. She just took her hand and brought her to the other bedroom where her foster daughter, Maia, was sleeping. It calmed her down like nothing else. The night was purely beautiful and like nothing she had ever experienced.