CHAPTER 24

When I saw Matthias pulling into the driveway of the villa, I frowned in confusion.

Maybe we were just going to stay in the villa.

I shrugged it off and started taking off my seatbelt. I didn't realise that Matthias was already out of the car, but he opened the door for me and I got out. He closed the door behind me, before locking the door.

I started making my way towards the front door of the villa when Matthias grabbed my hand.
"We're not going inside?" I asked him and he shook his head, holding my hand tight. Instead, Matthias led me over around the back of the villa, where the big field was. I looked at the sparse field, remembering the happy moments we all shared. My mind drifted to when Grayson proposed to Iris last year and how Zara had came running with her phone, complaining that she had missed the moment.

I shook my head of those thoughts and sighed to myself, wishing I could go back in time, a time where no one was in pain and in suffering nor grief, but that's complicated. We're in the mafia, it's pretty self explanatory as to why there would be constant suffering and pain.

"Where are we going Matthias?" I asked him, starting to get colder by the second. He noticed me shivering and took off his blazer before putting it around my shoulders. I held it close to me and waited for his answer.

"You don't remember?" He asks and I look forward as we continued walking. Beyond the huge field, there were a field of trees, almost like a small forest. I had noticed that we were going towards the trees and I mulled over my memories.

"Oh." I replied as we walked into the forest. I knew where we were going now.
"How- how do you still remember?" I asked as I looked all around us.
It was quite a walk to get out of the forest although the place we were going to was still a part of the forest.

Matthias grabbed a low branch out of our way and held it back, waiting for me to go first. I looked at the white gates in front of us, it was slightly rusty now, due to being up for so many years. On either side of the gates, was a huge wall, blocking us from seeing what was on the other side.

"You still need help climbing the gate?" Teased Matthias and I looked up at it. The gates were locked for many years, me and Matthias had even tried many days and nights to find this key, but no one seemed to know about this place and me and Matthias kept it to ourselves.

It was our own special little place.

Due to the gate being locked, climbing the wall deemed impossible as it was so high up, so we managed to climb the gate.

"I think I'll need that boost again." I confessed and he chuckled, nodding.

"Caterina Dolan, no matter how old you get, I don't think you'll ever be able to climb a gate without my boosts." He says arrogantly and I roll my eyes.
"Yeah yeah, whatever Matthias." I grumble.

He crouched down low and cupped his hands together. Once I managed to climb onto his hands, he pushed up, giving me a little boost and I managed to get over onto the other side of the gate. I climbed down from the gate and waited for Matthias to climb over and join me.

It felt like we were little kids again, climbing the gate without anyone knowing. I remember how many days we spent outside the gate, wondering how to get on the other side, while also admiring what little we could see from the gaps through the gate.

Matthias clutched my hand and we walked further on.

My mouth dropped in shock. This place still always takes me by shock at its ethereal beauty. Seeing this place again, reminds me of the first time me and Matthias ventured here and saw it together for the first time.