CHAPTER 5

Tears streaked my face, but I had stopped crying. I lay still, hearing the silence around me. There was a slight twitch in my hand and I shot up, looking at Matthias' body. It was slightest twitch ever, but I just about felt it. My heart pounded as I stared hard at Matthias for any movement.
"Matthias. Matthias, are you awake?" I asked as I gently stroked his face. I felt another twitch and I looked down at his fingers. I could hear my heart beating against my chest so loudly. H-his fingers had definitely moved.

"Oh my god. Oh my god. Matthias!" I rambled on, my heart racing. I started crying once I saw him shift a little bit.
"Oh my god Matthias, you're awake." I cried as I leaned down close to him, putting my forehead on his. I pressed the button to call the nurse urgently.

A few seconds later, Matthias' machine started beeping like crazy and I felt scared. The nurses ran in, looking at me and then to Matthias.
"H-he's awake." I trembled, feeling my own fingers shake as I pointed at Matthias. They looked at Matthias in surprise, who was currently stirring and quickly ran around sorting out the machine.
"Ma'am I'm going to have to ask you to leave." A nurse said to me, placing her hand on my back and trying to escort me out. I shook my head in defiance and got out of her hold.

"N-no I can't. I can't leave him please." I begged as I stared at Matthias. His eyes started to flutter and I held my breath as I stared at him.

Was I seeing things? Is this a dream?

"Ma'am please listen to me, y-"
I ignored her and went closer to Matthias. I covered my mouth in shock as his eyes fluttered open.
"Matthias!" I cried hard and the nurse escorted me out before he could look at me.

I stood outside the room, shaking and crying, not being able to comprehend what was happening. My fingers trembled as I phoned Iris and Marcello.

"H-he's awake. M-Matthias. He's awake." I repeated to them and I ended the phone call, before pacing around, wanting to hear the nurses' news.

" I repeated to them and I ended the phone call, before pacing around, wanting to hear the nurses' news

I didn't know what had happened that day. Everything seemed to go past in a blur. Me and Iris were an emotional wreck. They tried to keep me and Iris away, to distract ourselves while we waited for the news for hours. Me and Iris kept ourselves locked in my room, holding hands as we cried.
A couple of days had passed until I overheard Marcello and Eleonora talking in Marcello's office as I walked past. I paused and stood outside the door when I had heard Matthias' name being spoken.

"Marcello. Tell me what's going on. What's going on with Matthias?" Eleonora sighed.
"He'll be coming back here tomorrow." Marcello replied and I gasped quietly.
"What. Y-you mean he's fine? M-Matthias is still alive?!" Eleonora repeated and I pressed my ear closer to the door.

"Yes he's still alive Eleonora my love. He's forgotten a bit of things that had happened and he is quite weak at the moment, but he's fine. I informed the doctors and told them that Matthias can get treated at the villa instead of the hospital, so we can more guards guarding over him. From tomorrow, there will be nurses and so on coming into the villa." Marcello replied and I sighed in relief as I thought of Matthias.

He's alive. He is still alive. My Matthias is back.

As I shuffled slightly, the floorboard creaked and I froze as I heard Marcello and Eleonora's conversation pause. I quickly stepped away and slipped into the living room before they could open the door. I scanned everyone in the living room, turning away once I hadn't seen who I wanted to see.

"Iris, thank god! I need to speak to you, come on quickly." I rushed her as she turned around to face me alarmingly. I didn't wait for her response as I grabbed her hand and dragged her into the hallway.

"Caterina? What's going on? What happened?" She asked and I squeezed her hands.
"M-Matthias. H-he-"
"What? What happened to Matthias? Is he alright?" Iris hurried as she started to breathe heavily, fear passing through her face.

"It's okay. Matthias is okay. He's coming back home tomorrow Iris!" I said as a tear slipped down my eye. Her mouth opened in shock and she seemed frozen for a second, before grabbing onto my shoulders.
"A-are you sure? He-he's actually coming h-home tomorrow?" She asked and I nodded, feeling the happiest I ever have.
"Oh. O-oh my god." She whispered and I hugged her tightly.
"He's coming home, he's actually coming home Iris. I can't believe it." I said, still reeling in shock.
"A-after this long. God, it's been so long, he made it. He's alive, oh my god." Iris cried into my shoulder and I patted her back soothingly.

I won't ever take anything for granted. Matthias is alive. He's coming back. He's coming back to me, to us. I love you, I love you so much Matthias, I won't ever hesitate to tell you that ever again.

A/N:I'm really sorry for the long update and short chapter, but I hope everyone had a good Halloween this year, despite everything going on

A/N:
I'm really sorry for the long update and short chapter, but I hope everyone had a good Halloween this year, despite everything going on. I was meant to revise and complete all my work throughout this holiday, but now I'm sitting here with 3 or 4 assignments/essays to do 🤡.
Hope you guys enjoyed!
Vote! Comment! Share!
Until then