Early sunrises over barren hills

MAYA'S POV

I didn't say anything for the rest of the ride, Gee didn't either. It was perfectly silent, only wind blowing, engine running and four wheels hitting the sand and rocks under them.

The night was stepping aside as sun begun to appear and rise behind the dusty hills. Sky started to fill up with colors and brought a sense of safety. I watched the view of beauty on my left. I've never seen sunrise like that. It looks so different trough small windows and high fences. The wind making my hair wave and the calming but still brave colours make me realize that I've been locked down for almost my whole life, and it feels insane.

Water starts to form in my eyes and smudges my vision. A single tear escapes from my eye and falls down my cheeck, all down my neck. I wipe it away with the back of my hand. Without knowing, I open my mouth and use my vocal cords.

"I feel like I've thrown half of my life away."

I shake my head gently and look at Gerard. He glances at me and then looks back at the road.

"How old are you?"

"What?.. Uhm, nineteen.."

He was silent for a while, looking focused. I turned back to face the mass of colors. They are already more vivid. 

"You've thrown only eight years away. You still have many ahead, don't worry."

I looked at him, frowning a little. His mouth corners were turned up a little leaving a smooth expression on his face.

He's right. 

The time before school was worth living. Every second in these eight years have been wasted. Except every second and minute with my best friend. And thank god, I'm getting away from all of that.

Wait a second. Where's Frank?

I instantly feel a knot form in my stomach. How the hell I have forgetten Frank? Is he even alive? Fucking hell.

But Ray said that Frank had send him to get me. Would he lie?

I jump a little when I get pushed away from my thoughts.

"I guess we're here!"

I turn to face the road. We've arrived to a neighborhood. A few run-down houses are standing along the road. Some of the houses have cars standing outside.

We see Ray and the others slow down ahead us and stop in one of the houses yard and drive behind the house.

"I guess we're going there too." Gerard said. 

I just murmured something as an answer. 

***

"...so where bunking here like the others." Ray ended his ten minute long story.

Just kidding- he was telling me and Gee about this place, this neighborhood. 

He told us that as long as we can, we'll be sleeping here in the basements. Why in the basements? So we wont be blowed up sky high if someone finds us. 

He also told us that this neighbourhood actually is in the area where our school's students were born and probably lived their innocent childhood. And now this place looks like this. Harsh. 

The creamy white paint of the houses has partly crumbled down and some of the windows are broken. I can't wait to see the inside of our new home.

We start to make our way to inside to look around and make a bed when I remember something very important. I stop to my place like there's a wall ahead me.

"Ray!" I yell with a bit of anger in my voice.

He turns around, walks a few steps backwards but when he sees my serious expression, he stops. 

"Yeah?" He takes a few steps closer.

"You told me that Frank sedn you to get me. I know that Frank wouldn't have asked someone to get me, he would've come by himself."

Ray's mouth straightens into a thin line. He knows something that I don't. That pisses me off.

"I.. uh.."

I look at him and wait for the answer impatiently. 

Finally he gets the words out of his throat.

"Follow me."

I immediately start to make my way to him, waiting him to take me to Frank.

******************************

First of all: my deepest apologies.

I feel like I've neglected this story. Oh, wait, I AM.

I mean, I don't mean to, but somehow I end up sleeping when I have decided to write a new chapter.

For that, I blame school and the winter. These are the worst enemies of mine and they make me exhausted.

However, at this point, I would like to thank everyone of you who's reading this crappy book. You keep me writing this, and it feels very good. So thank you! I hope you won't lose you hope on me.

xx

J