Chapter 2

I fall into bed later that night, but I can't seem to get to sleep. My mind won't stop whirling, and thinking about today. Why did i have such a horrible daydream? and Why would that guy, Caspien, help me? I need to clear my brain, so I quietly get out of bed and put on a pair of jeans, and a t-shirt, grabbing my iPod from the top of my nightstand on my way out of my room. Silently, I slink down the stairs, effectively making no noise. I'm out the door, snagging my jacket from the coat rack.

        Outside, it is a crisp and cold fall night. I slid into my jacket, while walking down the street, taking my headphones out of the pocket and turn on my iPod, listening to the play-list I had left it on.

        Yes, I know people say its dangerous for a girl to be out alone at night, but what are the odds anything will happen to me?

        It turns out the odds are stacked against me.

        With a flash of headlights it happens. Two men jumping out of a van, the moonlight reflecting off their guns, an evil glint in their eyes. "If you would so kindly step into the van, we don't want to cause a stir in the entire neighborhood," he motions to the houses, "now do we?" I can hear the cruelty in his voice.

        My head starts shaking on its own accord, a smirk sets on my face, accompanied with a harsh laugh. I feel like i'm being pulled inside my body, I try to break free, but I can't, she is trying to replace me.

        I'm not going to replace you just yet, I'm trying to save your puny life.

        Why? I ask, but i already know, because if i die then she does too, I get no reply.

        "I believe you're right boys, we don't want to cause a commotion." It's not my voice, it is to high, it sounds like venom being spit at them. "So, I would recommend that you run along now, before you get hurt." It's like looking at a television screen that's set in first person, you can't see the person's face, but you can see other's reactions to them.

        The men sneer at her, "what're you gonna do, you're just a girl."

        She smiles sweetly, "yes I am just a girl, a girl who's going to. Kick. You're. Ass." It happens in a blur, suddenly one of them is crumpled on the floor. The other is just starting to raise his his gun, she lunges at him, twisting his arm around, so that the gun is pressed to his temple, her finger on the trigger. "Now, you can either take your friend and walk away, or... well you can guess what will happen."

        "We'll leave," his voice is shaking, it sounds like he struggled to just get those two words out.

        "Good boy, go and collect your buddy and beat it," she lets go of the gun and he scrambles away from her, grabbing his friend and dragging him to their van. The tires squeal as they drive away, as fast as possible.

        Then I pass out.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

        When I wake up the next morning, I'm laying in my bed, dressed in pajamas, as if nothing happened, but the note on my desk proves that theory wrong.

                Hello,
                        I wanted to ask you not to get into dangerous situations again, because I'm going to                 get tired of saving your ass. So, don't make it a habit.
                                                                                                                not so sincerely,
                                                                                                                Alice

                P.S. That's what I'm calling myself now, so you can stop with she and it.

        Anger rushes through me, I crumple the note up and throw it in the trash bin, storming out of my room.