Chapter Six

ONE MONTH LATER

   It had been one month since I left Melbourne and one month since I had any contact with the outside world. My father took away my phone and locked me in my windowless room most of the time. I had been saving money in my shoes for a while now. It was the only place my father wouldn't check.

    One day my father fell asleep drunk without locking my bedroom door. I slipped on a pair of running shorts and a tank top with a sweatshirt over. I put on my running shoes and stuffed the money in my pockets. I snuck out the door and made my way to the front door. As I stepped out of the front door I took of running. I didn't stop running until I was down a few blocks. I was free, or so I thought.

    I dove into a bush as I heard my name being yelled. That was when I saw my drunken slob of a father running down the block. I hid there until I saw him pass once again and go back to the house. I slowly stepped out of the bushes and kept running. There was only one place I knew I could go.

    It took me two whole days but I made it back to Melbourne. It took me 5 bus rides and me walking down 100+ blocks but I made it. I looked so desheviled. My hair was a complete mess and my clothes were tattered. I walked up to the front door of Bryanna's house and knocked softly. I honestly didn't have the energy to knock loudly. 

    The door slowly opened to reveal someone I did not expect, Luke. He looked shocked.

    "Jul...Where have you been?"

    "I was...um...Can I speak to Bryanna?" 

    I stumbled past him and into the living room seeing Bryanna chatting with the rest of the boys. All of them turned silent as they saw me standing in the doorway. 

    "Jul?...JUL."

    I leaned against the doorway for support as Bryanna led me upstairs to her room. She sat me down on her bed and handed me a pair of sweatpants and a tank top. I was so out of it that Bryanna had to repeat her question several times before I answered.

    "Where were you? Was it your father?"

    "Yeah...He kept me in a room. I couldn't get out...But I did. I got out. I'm free."

    "Go take a shower, you can stay with me. My parents will be delighted to have you stay."

    She helped me up and I went into her bathroom. I took a long shower. All of a sudden flashbacks were coming back into my mind. All of the hiting, all of the unimaginable things a father can do to his own child. I turned off the water and changed into the sweatpants and a bright loose tank top. I slowly walked back downstairs to see everyone standing I guess waiting for me to come back down.

    They all stared at me and I sat down.

    "What are you all staring at?"

    Luke looked the most stunned and I looked at all the familiar faces. Luke pointed to my arms and neck. I hadn't realized but all the clothes I was wearing revealed all the scars and all the bruises. There were hand marks on the wrists and burn marks going up my arms. There was also a huge strangle mark around my neck from the recent time my dad tried to strangle me. I looked down examining my arms not believing that this was my own body. No one could find words to speak so finally Jai spoke.

    "Jul...what happened to you?"